Guest EXPAT

B - movie alert tonight on SyFy called "Sharknado"

Guest EXPAT

I can't believe this is actually airing on TV tonight. So of course I plan to watch it. Not that there's necessarily something wrong with juvenile pleasures, mind you. After all, what could be more silly and childish than a movie about a super-tornado that sucks sharks out of the ocean and scatters them around Los Angeles, courtesy of NBC Universal's home-of-schlock, SyFy. It's doubtful the movie actually has a sensible explanation for how that could happen, or what actual threat sharks hurtling out of the sky and on to the sidewalks would pose to anyone other than the unfortunate people they land on. Happily, it's even more doubtful that will matter.

post-105999-0-29184900-1373598537_thumb.

Guest EXPAT

It completely took over the Twitterspere last night. It was the top trending topic for several hours as it aired across the country. it was even all over the news this morning because of so much social network commentary. The estimates are that more than 10 million people viewed this movie. It was hysterical that's for sure. Great B MOVIE genius.

Guest josephga

LOL I watch most of their crap. imo Abominable was their best made one. I like their anaconda and lake placid sequels too

Guest josephga

I didn't even know it was on. normal sat nights when they release new films. I read it flopped ..

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/07/sorry-twitter-sharknado-was-an-enormous-ratings-bust/277759/

And so, when all the eyeballs and tweets were counted, the verdict was thus: Sharknado devoured Twitter but scared away viewers.

The SyFy movie about flying sharks and bad weather was seen by just over 1 million people. It had a 0.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic in early Nielsen numbers. That's not just a bust by cable standards. It's a bust by SyFy original movie standards. "Most Syfy originals have an average viewership of 1.5 million people, with some getting twice that," Claire Suddath reports.

The peculiar thing about this bust was that it was a social media blockbuster. There were more than 600,000 tweets sent about the movie between 8pm and 3am last night (fewer if you go by Nielsen's numbers), which is two tweets for every three people in America watching Sharknado. That's particularly strange since Syfy original movies have an average viewer age of 52, and fiftysomething guys are a bit off the key demo for Twitter

Guest josephga

next weeks blast vegas looks pretty cheesy too

Thieving Spring Breakers steal an ancient relic that unleashes a disastrous curse upon Las Vegas.

Guest EXPAT

I think that ratings article is incorrect. NBC News covered it tonight in the Nightly News and said it broke ratings records for the SyFy channel. However if I'm not mistaken SyFy is owned by NBC Universal.

#Sharknado

Guest josephga

and lets NOT forget Sharknado also STARS the cinematic Treasure Tara Reid....... come-on People !

I cant wait for the sequel "Sharknami"..... :hyper:

maybe they could give Tara reid her own movie: Frankentits