Guest FourAces

State vrs Zimmerman

The Onion nails it.

Zimmerman Found Not Guilty, Technically, But C’mon

News raceNews ISSUE 49•29 Jul 15, 2013
700.hq.jpg?4713

A jury of his peers finds George Zimmerman not guilty—legally speaking, that is—of second-degree murder.

SANFORD, FL—More than 16 months after he fatally shot 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in an altercation at a Florida condominium development, neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman was found, technically speaking, not guilty of murder Saturday, but c’mon.

Following two days of intense deliberations, a six-member jury determined that Zimmerman had, from a purely legal standpoint, not murdered Martin, a black teenager, in February 2012. According to jurors, Zimmerman lawfully acted in self-defense—but let’s be serious here, shall we?—when he shot Martin at point-blank range in the chest, leaving him dead within minutes.

“The jury acted within the letter of the law, I guess, if you want to be official about it, and acquitted Mr. Zimmerman of both second-degree murder and manslaughter charges,” said legal scholar Jeffrey Frazier about Zimmerman’s culpability in the events of February 26, 2012, which, trial or no trial, have been pretty clear all along, right? “Mr. Zimmerman did not violate any Florida state laws—although, please, give me a break—and is an innocent man, I suppose, if you’re sticking to the strict legal definition of that word.”

“And thus, this trial was properly conducted in full accordance with the U.S. justice system,” Frazier added. “For whatever that’s worth.”

The highly anticipated verdict was announced late Saturday evening, when the jury’s foreman informed the dozens gathered in the packed courtroom that, in purely technical terms, mind you, Zimmerman had been cleared of wrongdoing, using her middle and forefingers on both hands to pantomime quotation marks while stating the words “not guilty.”

“Is George Zimmerman, juridically speaking, guilty of a crime? Under the precise stipulations of this particular law, no, he wasn’t,” said the foreman, adding, “Although, I think we all know what happened here, don’t we? Seriously, don’t we? And so we the jury find the defendant, George Zimmerman, you know, Christ, I guess I have to say not guilty? Do I really have to say that?”

The trial, which gripped the nation for three weeks, was particularly notable for Judge Debra B. Nelson’s order barring any discussion of race, which she stated had no bearing on the case, but, again, let’s be serious here for a second, as the victim was a black teenager.

In the wake of the verdict, large protests are confirmed to have erupted in cities throughout the country, which, frankly, is pretty understandable because, Christ, did you watch this fucking trial? In response to the nationwide outrage over Zimmerman’s innocence, and, boy, we’re using the term “innocence” pretty goddamned loosely here, President Barack Obama urged calm.

“I ask every American to respect the call for calm reflection from two parents who lost their young son,” said Obama in an address Sunday, sighing. “We are a nation of laws, and a jury has spoken.”

“But c’mon,” added Obama.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/zimmerman-found-not-guilty-technically-but-cmon,33124/

Guest josephga

that girl that testified was interviewed last night. its funny she thinks well her generation thinks its okay to say nigga but not nigger. you said nigga to friends or someone acting up. but if you say nigger you better not be around any black people lol

• Members

I believe it someone takes the life of another either through malice or negligence then there ought to be some serious penalty. 9+ years as you put it seems damn little. If there is an incongruence with the penalties for the two crimes then it seems to me that the improper balance lies with the minimum for 2nd degree murder, not manslaughter.

Obviously the jury thought it was not malice or negligence but, in fact, self defense. There have been a LOT of unfair, inequitable or justice not served verdicts throughout the history of the US. But we have determined early on that if we fail, it should be on the side of protecting the possibly innocent. Or, in this case, not guilty according to the law as written and advised by the judge.

Do you think it wise for BO to stir up further controversy over this? Would that not possibly make it a personal vendetta? Would it not be better to just try to go on as we have after many other sensational verdicts?

Who among us has not had a major event to occur in their lives that well after the fact and upon close and legal scrutiny would not result in a possible legal hassle? Those who have not are indeed lucky. Those who have had such and survived without all the publicity and trauma are also lucky.

How does it advance our country's race relations to have BO. Sharpton and others make a national issue of one that is essentially local and not some red neck sheriff neglecting his duty but a police force, local attorney general and others declining to prosecute only to have "national attention" cause the current situation? Shame on many. Too much politics and too many agendas.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest josephga

I think people need too move on people claim they support the system then turn around and cry baby when they didn't get the verdict they wanted. someone has to lose in these things. same people screaming for justice are the same ones that yelled cheered did cartwheels in the parking lot when OJ was found not guilty

Guest hitoallusa

Well if someone had followed me in a car, I would have called the police right away. Not sure why Martin didn't do that when he had a cell phone with him. If he had done that then things might have been different. Another thing that puzzles me is that why he didn't run and went inside his father's home for help. There could be explanations for them but unfortunately, we don't know what exactly happened at that night.

Zimmerman did make a mistake of following Martin. He should not have done that and not sure what his intention was. Anyways, Zimmerman will carry the burden of this unfortunate event the rest of his life so he is also paying the price for his mistakes. I think people should let go of this and move on.

I think people need too move on people claim they support the system then turn around and cry baby when they didn't get the verdict they wanted. someone has to lose in these things. same people screaming for justice are the same ones that yelled cheered did cartwheels in the parking lot when OJ was found not guilty

Guest parisrio2000

Trayvon was probably profiling Zimmerman as a gay guy trying to cruise him and attacked him because of that. That's the meaning of "creepy ass cracka" in black talk; but people don't want to concede that blacks are really homophobic in the US. That Jeantel retard actually probably encouraged him to attack Zimmerman to prove he's a "real man." The timeline sort of supports this. He was seen running away and then she called him back and then the "confrontation" happened (i.e., he came back to confront Zimmerman), how much do you want to bet that Jabba the Huttie Jeantel called him back on the phone and insisted that if he's a real man he won't let no gay creepy ass cracka hit on him and get away with it? That's what comes out of her latest interview, though she's too dumb to realize that she gave herself away or that there's anything wrong with this. There was "profiling" alright, just not the way that people think.

Also, for the love of G-d, Zimmerman is NOT white...he wouldn't even be considered white in South America. He looks sort of like Obama; has skin darker than Holder. I like how the whole American establishment is trying to pretend he's white as a kind of proxy. Sick. Fucking sick.

Actually it's pretty funny Zimmerman is 1/4 black and Obama is 1/2 black. Obama said if he had a son, he would look like Trayvon, well what if he had a son with a fat white/hispanic woman, then he'd look like Zimmerman.

Guest hitoallusa

Well my Obama is not.. ^_^ I don't think there are many gay black americans in the first place since only 12.6% of Americans are black. It's very hard to meet a gay black guy since statistically around 1.26% of them will be probably gay.

I agree most blacks in the usa are homophobic.

Oh it's just an assumption based on a study that suggests 10% of population is gay.

Ah. I asked because the way your original post was worded, you were saying that only 1.26% of black men are gay.

My personal experience suggests 10% or so is a much more likely figure. :yes:

Daily Caller sends teen reporter to 'grill' White House on Zimmerman verdict

16-year-old journalist-in-training Gabe Finger asked Jay Carney a 'ridiculous' question in Daily Caller stunt

The midsummer somnolence of the White House briefing room was rudely disturbed Wednesday by a media intern with a provocative question about the Trayvon Martin case.

"Because of the death threats being received by George Zimmerman and his parents, is the president going to take any action for their security, or are they on their own?" asked Gabe Finger, 16, a journalist-in-training at the Daily Caller.

A Florida jury last week found Zimmerman not guilty in the February 2012 killing of Martin, a boy who was about Finger's age. The verdict has provoked passionate demonstrations of disagreement. The "death threats" could not be independently confirmed.

Carney responded that the Zimmerman family is hardly quote "on their own," given that George Zimmerman owns a gun and demonstrably has the right in Florida to shoot dead anyone he perceives as threatening . "I would refer you to Florida authorities … The president has called for, echoing the statements of Trayvon Martin's family, for calm reflection in the wake of the verdict, and that continues to be his position, he certainly would oppose any violence of any kind."

In an admirable display of journalistic tenacity, Finger followed up. "So they're on their own," he said.

Gabe Finger @GabeemtheFinger

Just angered Obama's press secretary. Word.

Carney replied that if by "on their own" the Daily Caller meant they can now go about their lives secure in the knowledge that their private instincts about someone are enough in Florida to exculpate them should they track and execute that individual, then sure the statement was "ridiculous".

"You can editorialize all you want and I have no doubt that you will, but that is a ridiculous statement," Carney said. Then he took a question about arming Syria's rebels.

The Daily Caller has a history of stabbing at the country's open wound of racism. The news outlet took the lead last year in a campaign to stoke race-based fear and resentment at the height of the presidential campaign by peddling an old Obama video as racially incendiary. The campaign failed.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/18/daily-caller-intern-white-house

Guest hitoallusa

Oh my I think it's better for my Obama not to personalize this verdict so much.

Obama: Trayvon Martin ‘could have been me 35 years ago’

President Barack Obama, breaking his silence on the George Zimmerman acquittal, said Friday that many African-Americans believe that “both the outcome and the aftermath might have been different” if Trayvon Martin had been white.

“You know, when Trayvon Martin was first shot, I said that this could have been my son,” Obama said somberly during a surprise appearance in the White House briefing room. “Another way of saying that is Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago.”

In searingly personal terms, Obama described his personal experience with race-based prejudice. “There are very few African-American men in this country who haven’t had the experience of being followed when they were shopping in a department store -- that includes me,” he said.

“There are very few African-American men who haven’t had the experience of walking across the street and hearing the locks click on the doors of cars. That happens to me – at least before I was a senator,” he said. “There are very African-Americans who haven’t had the experience of getting on an elevator and a woman clutching her purse nervously and holding her breath until she had a chance to get off. That happens often.”

So “the African-American community is looking at this issue through a set of experiences and a history,” judging “what happened one night in Florida” through that lens, he said.

Obama seemed to pour cold water on prospects that a Justice Department review of the case would lead to federal charges against Zimmerman.

"I think it's important for people to have some clear expectations here. Traditionally, these are issues of state and local government, the criminal code, and law-enforcement is traditionally done at the state and local levels -- not at the federal level," the president said.

He also tamped down suggestions he call a national conversation on race, but encouraged churches and families and communities to discuss issues surrounding the case and urged all Americans do engage in some "soul-searching."

And he called for a review of laws like Florida's "Stand Your Ground" statute, suggesting that they re-write traditional self-defense rules in a way that fuels violence rather than smother it.

"And for those who resist that idea -- that we should think about something like these 'Stand Your Ground' laws -- I just ask people to consider: If Trayvon Martin was of age and armed could he have stood his ground on that sidewalk? And do we actually think that he would have been justified in shooting Mr Zimmerman, who had followed him in a car, because he felt threatened?" the president said.

"And if the answer to that question is at least ambiguous, then it seems to me that we might want to examine those kinds of laws," Obama said.

Over the longer term, the president said, "we need to spend some time in thinking about how do we bolster and reinforce our African-American boys" and to "give them a sense that their country cares about them and values them and is willing to invest in them."

Obama said he wasn't calling for a grand new federal program but suggested he could bring together "business leaders, local elected officials, some clergy, and celebrities and athletes" to find a way to do a "better job helping young African-American men feel that they're a full part of this society and that they've got pathways and avenues to succeed."

Guest josephga

miss Ali said the other night blacks and whites will never see eye to eye and the only solution is separation. she said she knows her opinion wont go over well

• Members

Oh my I think it's better for my Obama not to personalize this verdict so much.

Obama: Trayvon Martin ‘could have been me 35 years ago’

olivier-40x40-jpg_002342.jpg

Olivier Knox, Yahoo! News 35 minutes agoBarack ObamaShooting of Trayvon Martin

President Barack Obama, breaking his silence on the George Zimmerman acquittal, said Friday that many African-Americans believe that “both the outcome and the aftermath might have been different” if Trayvon Martin had been white.

“You know, when Trayvon Martin was first shot, I said that this could have been my son,” Obama said somberly during a surprise appearance in the White House briefing room. “Another way of saying that is Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago.”

In searingly personal terms, Obama described his personal experience with race-based prejudice. “There are very few African-American men in this country who haven’t had the experience of being followed when they were shopping in a department store -- that includes me,” he said.

“There are very few African-American men who haven’t had the experience of walking across the street and hearing the locks click on the doors of cars. That happens to me – at least before I was a senator,” he said. “There are very African-Americans who haven’t had the experience of getting on an elevator and a woman clutching her purse nervously and holding her breath until she had a chance to get off. That happens often.”

So “the African-American community is looking at this issue through a set of experiences and a history,” judging “what happened one night in Florida” through that lens, he said.

Obama seemed to pour cold water on prospects that a Justice Department review of the case would lead to federal charges against Zimmerman.

"I think it's important for people to have some clear expectations here. Traditionally, these are issues of state and local government, the criminal code, and law-enforcement is traditionally done at the state and local levels -- not at the federal level," the president said.

He also tamped down suggestions he call a national conversation on race, but encouraged churches and families and communities to discuss issues surrounding the case and urged all Americans do engage in some "soul-searching."

And he called for a review of laws like Florida's "Stand Your Ground" statute, suggesting that they re-write traditional self-defense rules in a way that fuels violence rather than smother it.

"And for those who resist that idea -- that we should think about something like these 'Stand Your Ground' laws -- I just ask people to consider: If Trayvon Martin was of age and armed could he have stood his ground on that sidewalk? And do we actually think that he would have been justified in shooting Mr Zimmerman, who had followed him in a car, because he felt threatened?" the president said.

"And if the answer to that question is at least ambiguous, then it seems to me that we might want to examine those kinds of laws," Obama said.

Over the longer term, the president said, "we need to spend some time in thinking about how do we bolster and reinforce our African-American boys" and to "give them a sense that their country cares about them and values them and is willing to invest in them."

Obama said he wasn't calling for a grand new federal program but suggested he could bring together "business leaders, local elected officials, some clergy, and celebrities and athletes" to find a way to do a "better job helping young African-American men feel that they're a full part of this society and that they've got pathways and avenues to succeed."

hito-

You are starting to turn me on. Please send me your picture by private email. :smile:

Best regards,

RA1

Guest hitoallusa

Oh my RA1, you don't ask a lady to send her picture first.. The gentleman has to take the initiative first... flowers will be nice.. I'm trying to trim down my weight so no chocolates or candies.. Now if you are going to send flowers please be witty and creative and do not just send some roses. Here is a site that gives you an idea.. I want some kind of message to be associated with flower gifts. Do I still turn you on?

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/list-of-flower-names-and-meanings-of-flowers.html

hito-

You are starting to turn me on. Please send me your picture by private email. :smile:

Best regards,

RA1

I want some kind of message to be associated with flower gifts. Do I still turn you on?

The 7 Most Beautiful-But-Deadly Flowers in the World

7. Daphne

daphne.jpg

Also known as lady laurel or paradise plant, Daphne is a 1-1.5 meters tall shrub, usually grown for its scented flowers. All parts of the plant are poisonous, but the greatest concentrations are in the sap and berries.

daphne2.jpg

Daphne contains mezerine and daphnin, two powerful toxins that cause stomach aches, headaches, diarrhea, delirium and convulsions. If Daphne berries are consumed, the victim might fall into a coma and even die.

6. Lily of the Valley

lily-of-the-valley.jpg

Just like the Daphne, Lily of the Valley may look beautiful and harmless, but it is entirely poisonous. Eating one or two of the plant’s bell-shaped flowers won’t hurt you very much, especially if you’re an adult.

lily-of-the-valley2.jpg

Eaten in large quantities, Lily of the Valley causes pain in the mouth, nausea, vomiting, cramps and diarrhoea. People with heart conditions should be most careful since the toxins cause the heartbeats to slow down or become irregular.

5. Belladonna

deadly-nightshade.jpg

Known as one of the most poisonous plants in the Western hemisphere, Belladonna contains potentially lethal tropane alkaloids. The entire plant is harmful, but its good-looking berries pose the most danger, especially to kids.

deadly-nightshade2.jpg

The symptoms of Belladona, or Deadly Nightshade poisoning are dilated pupils, blurred vision, headaches, hallucinations, delirium and convulsions. Atropine, the toxin contained by Belladona, can kill a person by disrupting the nervous system’s ability to regulate breathing, sweating and heart rate.

4. Angel’s Trumpet

angel-trumpet.jpg

Despite its name, there’s something very evil about this plant. The toxins it contains can be fatal to humans and a number of animals. Known as a powerful hallucinogen, Angel’s Trumpet should not be used for recreational purposes, since the risk of an overdose is very high.

angel-trumpet2.jpg

Angel’s Trumpet plants contain a variable amount of tropane alkaloids, like atropine and scopolamine, and it is used in shamanic rituals by indigenous tribes in western Amazonia.

3. Rhododendron

rhododendron.jpg

This popular evergreen shrub, featuring large, beautiful blooms, has been known for its toxicity since ancient times. Xenophon recorded the odd behavior of a group of Greek soldiers who had eaten honey from rhododendron flowers.

rhododendron2.jpg

Rhododendron contains andromedatoxin which causes nausea, severe pains, paralysis and even death. Azaleas, members of the same plant-family as rhododendron, are also poisonous.

2. Oleander

oleander.jpg

Oleander is known as one of the most poisonous plants on Earth, often used in suicidal cases around southern India. The numerous toxic compounds contained in the entire Oleander plant, including oleandrin and neriine, affect the nervous, digestive and cardiovascular systems, all at the same time.

oleander2.jpg

Oleander poisoning leads to drowsiness, tremors, seizures, coma and even death. The plant’s sap causes skin irritation and severe eye inflammation.

1. Autumn crocus

autumn-crocus.jpg

One of the most endangered plants in the world, Autumn crocus is also probably the most poisonous. It contains colchicine, a deadly drug used effectively in the treatment for gout. Unlike other toxins found in the flowers above, colchicine, an arsenic-like poison has no antidote.

autumn-crocus2.jpg

Autumn crocus poisoning leads to reduced blood pressure and cardiac arrest.

:D

http://www.hotelclub.com/blog/deadly-flowers/

Guest FourAces

The 7 Most Beautiful-But-Deadly Flowers in the World

7. Daphne

daphne.jpg

Also known as lady laurel or paradise plant, Daphne is a 1-1.5 meters tall shrub, usually grown for its scented flowers. All parts of the plant are poisonous, but the greatest concentrations are in the sap and berries.

daphne2.jpg

Daphne contains mezerine and daphnin, two powerful toxins that cause stomach aches, headaches, diarrhea, delirium and convulsions. If Daphne berries are consumed, the victim might fall into a coma and even die.

6. Lily of the Valley

lily-of-the-valley.jpg

Just like the Daphne, Lily of the Valley may look beautiful and harmless, but it is entirely poisonous. Eating one or two of the plant’s bell-shaped flowers won’t hurt you very much, especially if you’re an adult.

lily-of-the-valley2.jpg

Eaten in large quantities, Lily of the Valley causes pain in the mouth, nausea, vomiting, cramps and diarrhoea. People with heart conditions should be most careful since the toxins cause the heartbeats to slow down or become irregular.

5. Belladonna

deadly-nightshade.jpg

Known as one of the most poisonous plants in the Western hemisphere, Belladonna contains potentially lethal tropane alkaloids. The entire plant is harmful, but its good-looking berries pose the most danger, especially to kids.

deadly-nightshade2.jpg

The symptoms of Belladona, or Deadly Nightshade poisoning are dilated pupils, blurred vision, headaches, hallucinations, delirium and convulsions. Atropine, the toxin contained by Belladona, can kill a person by disrupting the nervous system’s ability to regulate breathing, sweating and heart rate.

4. Angel’s Trumpet

angel-trumpet.jpg

Despite its name, there’s something very evil about this plant. The toxins it contains can be fatal to humans and a number of animals. Known as a powerful hallucinogen, Angel’s Trumpet should not be used for recreational purposes, since the risk of an overdose is very high.

angel-trumpet2.jpg

Angel’s Trumpet plants contain a variable amount of tropane alkaloids, like atropine and scopolamine, and it is used in shamanic rituals by indigenous tribes in western Amazonia.

3. Rhododendron

rhododendron.jpg

This popular evergreen shrub, featuring large, beautiful blooms, has been known for its toxicity since ancient times. Xenophon recorded the odd behavior of a group of Greek soldiers who had eaten honey from rhododendron flowers.

rhododendron2.jpg

Rhododendron contains andromedatoxin which causes nausea, severe pains, paralysis and even death. Azaleas, members of the same plant-family as rhododendron, are also poisonous.

2. Oleander

oleander.jpg

Oleander is known as one of the most poisonous plants on Earth, often used in suicidal cases around southern India. The numerous toxic compounds contained in the entire Oleander plant, including oleandrin and neriine, affect the nervous, digestive and cardiovascular systems, all at the same time.

oleander2.jpg

Oleander poisoning leads to drowsiness, tremors, seizures, coma and even death. The plant’s sap causes skin irritation and severe eye inflammation.

1. Autumn crocus

autumn-crocus.jpg

One of the most endangered plants in the world, Autumn crocus is also probably the most poisonous. It contains colchicine, a deadly drug used effectively in the treatment for gout. Unlike other toxins found in the flowers above, colchicine, an arsenic-like poison has no antidote.

autumn-crocus2.jpg

Autumn crocus poisoning leads to reduced blood pressure and cardiac arrest.

:D

http://www.hotelclub.com/blog/deadly-flowers/

And not one of them is black ^_^