TotallyOz

Landed in Thailand for the rest of 2013

As most of you know, I love Thailand and my two boyfriends that live with me here are great guys and take good care of me while here. I always enjoy my time in Thailand but I am getting to detest the flights. It was 30 hours door to door and that is a long time for an old man like me. I was on Delta and I enjoyed the lay flat seats but I had that they have only one bathroom on the main business class cabin for everyone. They will tell you that you are welcome to use the ones upstairs but that is a pain in the ass. IMHO

On this trip, I wanted to be sure I brought some things I have wanted in Thailand for a long while. I have a 3 wheel bike I wanted to bring which is both overweight and over-sized. I also wanted my coffee machine, pressure cooker and some other odd things that I always wanted on trips here.

So, on this trip, I loaded up my SUV and headed to the airport. It was completely full. I get to the airport and was told that the limit for bags on Delta Connection Flights were 4. I had 12 bags with me that needed to be checked. After a lot of back and forth, smiling and bullshit, they agreed to take them as the plane was not full. I had also called ahead to make sure I was able to bring them and that helped the situation.

When I got to Thailand and past immigration, I saw the same old man that always helps me. He came running over to me and I told him this time I needed a lot of help and maybe 2-3 guys. He said he would take care of it. He did it all by himself (bigger tip for him) and he had a huge 4 wheel crate that fit the bike and everything else on it. As we were walking through customs, the lady stopped us and asked what was in the big bags.

I told her the biggest was a 3 wheel bike and she laughed. She pointed to another suitcase and I said that is 2 tires for the bike and another was the back tire. She asked about the other large one and it was my 27inch Imac and she looked at me and said "really" and I said yes.

She said, "Mister, you crazy mak mak. Go on out of here."

:smile: I smiled and thanked my lucky stars that I didn't have to get stripped searched or worse. :smile:

I never have problems in Thailand with customs like I do in Brazil, India, USA or just about anywhere. They usually just say welcome.

I choose a 1 bedroom place for this trip in the business district and not far from all the embassies.

The room is over 1700 square feet and has the best fitness center in Bangkok that is part of the service. Everything is included in the room and the cost is 75,000 bath or about 2400 USD.

I did make it out the first few nights but the jet lag usually takes me a few days to recover from. However, I will be having some adventures and will share them with you as they happen.

Guest hitoallusa

Oh my Oz I hope you have fun... ^_^ I usually ship my shoes in advance. They usually arrive within a week. Just in time since I tend to stay in for a couple of days. Just a tip for your next trip.

• Members

Have a great trip! Is the 2400USD room cost a month or for 6 months? I'm guessing it's for the whole 6 months, if so very affordable. I hope you find a place to store all the extra stuff you brought over when you leave, thus saving you the need of lugging it back & forth on future trips.

Have a great trip! Is the 2400USD room cost a month or for 6 months? I'm guessing it's for the whole 6 months, if so very affordable. I hope you find a place to store all the extra stuff you brought over when you leave, thus saving you the need of lugging it back & forth on future trips.

No, that is per month. But, I have friends that get places here easily for 500 per month. I choose a much larger and more expensive full service place. The apartment is massive for us but I have 2 guys that live with me here and we needed a bit of extra space.

• Members

Just to expand on what OZ explained. He is staying in a serviced apartment which is essentially a Hotel of apartments. Everything that you would expect in a 5 Star Hotel except instead of a 300 sq ft room, you have a 1700 sq foot apartment. It equates to $80 per day. That might get you a Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express in a small town in the USA.

Guest hitoallusa

Oh my OZ, two guys living with you not just visiting from time to time? I can't have even one guy to live with me!! :(

Perhaps this has been asked and answered before, but I am curious Oz, do you go in as a tourist or do you use some special visa? And is six months the max for such an entry, or are you required to exit and re-enter after so much time?

I have a Business Visa which allows me to stay for 3 months and then leave and come back immediately. However, a tourist visa gives you 30 days upon entry. You can get extensions, etc on that but not too many 30 days in a row. I have done 4 or 5 before but that is always scrutinized a bit more. If you are 50 and up, you can get a retirement visa which allows you to stay here permanently and come and go as you please. But, I have a few years to go before I get that so I just get the Business Visa which is a real PITA.

Lucky, I'll try to post some good stories for you.