Guest hitoallusa

It's overturned!!!!!!

• Members

Do you mean BO on his way to spending 100 million of taxpayers dollars on a vacation? Sorry to spoil the mood. I agree it is way overdue but we have a LOT of problems remaining, before and after.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

I am so sick of seeing this bullshit about spending 100 million to go to Africa. So what? I didn't hear you complaining about his trip to Israel or Germany etc etc etc.

Thats what Presidents do, they visit different parts of the world . And Africa is an important continent and too many countries harbor terrorists. We need to be engaged on that Continent. Sure we have problems, We always have problems .

But raining on 2 Historic decisions on this forum with some petty complaint about spending money going to Africa is just plain disgusting!.

Start another thread with that bullshit. What chance you think we would have had with McCain or Romney as President. Zero

Dan Roberts @RobertsDan

"No man, not even a Supreme Court, can undo what a holy God has instituted," says Michelle Bachman. Can you hear the ground rumbling?

Frank Thorp V @frankthorpNBC

Asked for a response to Rep Bachmann's statement about DOMA, @NancyPelosi just responds: "Who cares?"

• Members

I am so sick of seeing this bullshit about spending 100 million to go to Africa. So what? I didn't hear you complaining about his trip to Israel or Germany etc etc etc.

Thats what Presidents do, they visit different parts of the world . And Africa is an important continent and too many countries harbor terrorists. We need to be engaged on that Continent. Sure we have problems, We always have problems .

But raining on 2 Historic decisions on this forum with some petty complaint about spending money going to Africa is just plain disgusting!.

Start another thread with that bullshit.

How many of those taxpayer's dollars were yours? Regardless, you can say it doesn't matter all you want but it does. I agree that political visits can be important. Vacations, less so. This is a vacation.

However, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, however wrong.

Best regards,

RA1

Obama: "...So we welcome today’s decision, and I’ve directed the Attorney General to work with other members of my Cabinet to review all relevant federal statutes to ensure this decision, including its implications for Federal benefits and obligations, is implemented swiftly and smoothly."

My accountant is watching to learn whether I will be entitled to recoupment of any federal taxes paid during years I was married but unable to file jointly due to DOMA.

Guest hitoallusa

Oh my AS, I hope you can get some money back. :smile:

Obama: "...So we welcome today’s decision, and I’ve directed the Attorney General to work with other members of my Cabinet to review all relevant federal statutes to ensure this decision, including its implications for Federal benefits and obligations, is implemented swiftly and smoothly."

My accountant is watching to learn whether I will be entitled to recoupment of any federal taxes paid during years I was married but unable to file jointly due to DOMA.

• Members

How many of those taxpayer's dollars were yours? Regardless, you can say it doesn't matter all you want but it does. I agree that political visits can be important. Vacations, less so. This is a vacation.

However, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, however wrong.

Best regards,

RA1

My Federal Income Taxes were quite substantial last year .Thank you very much and I noticed you had nothing to say about this never happening if Obama had not been elected.!!! And as far as it being a vacation costing $100 million, that is just inflated drivel from TeaParty and Fox News Idiots!

• Members

My Federal Income Taxes were quite substantial last year .Thank you very much and I noticed you had nothing to say about this never happening if Obama had not been elected.!!! And as far as it being a vacation costing $100 million, that is just inflated drivel from TeaParty and Fox News Idiots!

If you paid so much in taxes, why are you not complaining about wasting them? All this stuff is political in nature. It isn't drivel, I am not happy about any pols spending money like this on vacation and hope they would only do it in the course of duty. Previous Presidents are not immune from my disdain. The economy is in shambles and pols are jetting around spending money. How wonderful.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest josephga

DOMA is overturned!!!! I'm going for shoe shopping to celebrate over lunch... I think I will be full without eating.. lol... :smile: More gay guys will marry and start to have family of their own. I think it's just great. :smile:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/news/supreme-court-strikes-down-doma-140330141.html

I went and bought some new shoes on sunday. some new Asics running shoes

Guest hitoallusa

I love running shoes... Asics shoes are cool. I love comfy shoes.. ^_^

I went and bought some new shoes on sunday. some new Asics running shoes

Guest AlwaysLookin

Perhaps I'm wrong (I can't find the article I read earlier about how the justices voted), but did Justice Sotomayor vote with gays on one issue, but vote against gays on the other issue? I know I've oversimplified, but that is what is looks like to me. Maybe someone can give more information.

Guest zipperzone

If you paid so much in taxes, why are you not complaining about wasting them? All this stuff is political in nature. It isn't drivel, I am not happy about any pols spending money like this on vacation and hope they would only do it in the course of duty. Previous Presidents are not immune from my disdain. The economy is in shambles and pols are jetting around spending money. How wonderful.

Best regards,

RA1

Why are you changing the intent of this thread? It is all about the SC ruling released today. Why hijack it by bringing up your concerns about a supposed 100 million being spent on travel to Africa? I also don't believe the figure!

I bet you would not be so concerned if they were chartering a plane from you with you as the pilot.

Start a new thread if you want to bitch & complain - and it should be in the politics forum.

• Members

I am thrilled everyone is so happy about the ruling today. But, it is all politics. Sorry if I interjected another political aspect into the thread. The figure is probably on the low side, if correctly calculated.

I am not complaining about the ruling. Someone else mentioned BO earlier on and I commented on him.

Best regards,

RA1

Epigonos notes on the other forum that the DOMA ruling left intact that part of DOMA that allows states that do not recognize same-sex marriage to not recognize the validity of same-sex marriages performed in states that allow them.

So a future challenge to this portion of DOMA on full-faith-and-credit grounds can likely be expected.

• Members

Yes, we have more or less gone from the states that do recognize same sex marriage being the only ones with "any" benefits to many federal benefits being recognized in all states. It will take a scorecard for quite a while to figure this all out and, no doubt, more legal action.

Best regards,

RA1

Perhaps I'm wrong (I can't find the article I read earlier about how the justices voted), but did Justice Sotomayor vote with gays on one issue, but vote against gays on the other issue? I know I've oversimplified, but that is what is looks like to me. Maybe someone can give more information.

Sotomayor sided with the minority on Prop 8. She did not issue a separate opinion, so no direct view into her thinking other than what the minority opinion, written by Kennedy, said: http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/26/politics/scotus-prop-8/index.html?c=&page=1

But here a piece that looks at the "strange bedfellows" who made up the group of dissenting justices: http://m.theweek.com/article.php?id=246191

• Members

Summary of "Scalia's dissenting DOMA rant":

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3503706/

His fancy words don't change the fact that he is a Bigot in all respects and is faithful only to the Corporations and never the individual.

He would have been on the wrong side of every Landmark Decision practically for the last 100 years. All the Courts including this one have been wrong every time in his opinion.

Thankfully many times the opinions of this bigot and guardian of the corporation have not prevailed..

Just imagine if this country had elected McCain and then re-elected where we would be with a RIGHT WING COURT.