Guest EXPAT

The new angel on Drop Dead Diva

Guest EXPAT

We all know that Drop Dead Diva survived cancellation and the fifth season of the Lifetime series premieres this Sunday.

But now that actor Ben Feldman (who played guardian angel Fred) has moved on to Mad Men, there’s a new celestial being to look out for Deb (Brooke Elliott), the sexy blonde who died and was sent back to live life in the body of a plus-sized lawyer.

Justin Deeley joins the cast in the season premiere as Paul, and according to creator Josh Berman he’ll be more playful than seasoned, and (thankfully for us) he oftentimes won’t be wearing much clothing.

I talked with Deeley and Berman on the Drop Dead Diva set in Atlanta earlier this month to learn a little more about the former underwear model… and break down what Diva fans need to know about his angel character.

“Had Me At Hello”: Berman told me that they’d been looking for the new angel for awhile before they found their man. “Justin Deeley walked into the room and had me at hello,” Berman said. “Not only is he talented, sexy, and funny – he’s also a gifted physical comedian with absolutely no inhibitions — which is a good thing since his character is half naked most of the time.”

Paul is just a big kid: “He’s the 6-year-old that lives within all of us,” Deeley said, with a grin. ”And the reason he is that way is because this is second shot at life. And, granted, he is the guardian angel. He has his responsibilities.”

justin-deeley.jpg

justin-deeley-abs.jpg

justin-deeley-1.jpg

Guest hitoallusa

I love love love Drop Dead Diva. I have only watched a couple of episodes but it is my favorite show on TV. It's just the best show ever and I love when Jane makes her fancy moves in the court. She is my hero and makes me feel that I have hope. :smile: