mjd

Casa Cool Beans Guest House & Casa Cool Beans Ipanema Flats

• Members

Has anyone stayed at either of these places? They are gay owned and marketed to gays and highly recommended by Trip Advisor. The Guest House is in Santa Teresa; the flats are apartments in a building about 2 blocks for the gay beach in Ipanema.

They look very nice and the prices are reasonable. I booked stays at both for January 2014. No guests allowed.

• Members

Their prices for the Ipanema property seem a bit much to me. I just looked at a week-long stay in early August (low-season), and they wanted US $150/nt for the studios and US $175/nt for the 1-bedroom suites. That'd be an okay deal for a hotel (no breakfast, but free wi-fi), but definitely more expensive than renting an apartment (although not excessively so, for Ipanema). The "no guest" policy is a deal-breaker for me. I don't often bring guests back to my place while in Rio, but I definitely enjoy the freedom to do so. I just don't tolerate such policies.

That being said, mjd, the location is ideal (assuming the Ipanema metro station is reopened by your January 2014 trip), and the property looks lovely. I hope you have a wonderful time.