Guest zipperzone

They don't know what they are missing

Guest zipperzone

This past weekend I happened to be in the company of several teenagers. The subject of music came up and I felt I was left completely out of the conversation. The reason being that the music that is popular today has little interest for me. It all sounds the same, you can't hum most of the songs, I can hardly distinguish one artist from the next.

So I thought I would try and determine if they had any interest in what I refer to as "The Classics". By that I don't mean classical music in the true sense of the word but the old standards and artists that are the mainstay of my record/CD/tape collection.

I was disappointed, but not entirely surprised, to hear that they had never heard all of these artists.

Ella Fitzgerald, Billy Holiday, Dinah Washington, Peggy Lee, Lena Horne, Henry Mancini, etc and all the wonderful old standards they delivered.

What a shame. They don't know what they are missing IMO. As a side note, they had heard of Frank Sinatra, but were not familiar with his actual songs.

Does anyone else feel the same or am I just a dinosaur?

• Members

Totally relate to where you are coming from on this. I suppose it is not unusual that teenagers of most generations are pretty unaware of things that came before them...perhaps as a way of differentiating themselves from their parents. I believe that with time many will start to expand their interests and horizons so there is hope. Btw, I think this also applies not only to music but often to "classic" movies (but perhaps to a lesser extent). To get to the bottom of it, though, perhaps we are both dinosaurs but I am ok with that.

Guest FourAces

Zip While your generation of music is before mine I can appreciate the talent of several of the artist you noted. I also find that most teens do not really care what the old man listened to back in the day.

Your post is timely as earlier today a friend of mine who publishes a music magazine were talking about actors and actresses that kids today have no clue who they are. That they missed out on some of the great talent of our generation.

Music today is not my cup of tea so to speak but once in a while I do hear an awesome song or two.

I guess its all part of us growing old and considering the alternative growing old seems ok ^_^

Guest NCBored

This past weekend I happened to be in the company of several teenagers. The subject of music came up and I felt I was left completely out of the conversation. The reason being that the music that is popular today has little interest for me. It all sounds the same, you can't hum most of the songs, I can hardly distinguish one artist from the next.

So I thought I would try and determine if they had any interest in what I refer to as "The Classics". By that I don't mean classical music in the true sense of the word but the old standards and artists that are the mainstay of my record/CD/tape collection.

I was disappointed, but not entirely surprised, to hear that they had never heard all of these artists.

Ella Fitzgerald, Billy Holiday, Dinah Washington, Peggy Lee, Lena Horne, Henry Mancini, etc and all the wonderful old standards they delivered.

What a shame. They don't know what they are missing IMO. As a side note, they had heard of Frank Sinatra, but were not familiar with his actual songs.

Does anyone else feel the same or am I just a dinosaur?

It's not clear to me whether you actually played any of those classics for them or just asked if they were familiar with them.

Is that they didn't like what you like, or that they just don't know it?

• Members

Yes, you are a dinosaur but I have been called worse and happily admit to it. ^_^

If today's kids and teen-agers don't know about or appreciate music from time gone by, why did I enjoy the dance music and movies that my parents so enjoyed? I don't think it was a lack of things to do or new music or films to watch but I know I did appreciate most of what they did. I don't know if that makes me different or today's kids or both. Another of life's enigmas. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Guest zipperzone

It's not clear to me whether you actually played any of those classics for them or just asked if they were familiar with them.

Is that they didn't like what you like, or that they just don't know it?

No I didn't play anything for them - just threw out a few names to get their reaction, which was "who the hell are you talking about". I find that so sad. Great talent totally ignored after they have died.

Guest zipperzone

Yes, you are a dinosaur but I have been called worse and happily admit to it. :smile:

If today's kids and teen-agers don't know about or appreciate music from time gone by, why did I enjoy the dance music and movies that my parents so enjoyed? I don't think it was a lack of things to do or new music or films to watch but I know I did appreciate most of what they did. I don't know if that makes me different or today's kids or both. Another of life's enigmas. :smile:

Best regards,

RA1

If kids today don't know of or appreciate the great jazz artists of the past, then what will happen to real classical music such as Bach & Chopin etc. After a couple of generations will these classics be forgotten forever?

• Members

Classical music will always be appreciated but it could very well evolve or devolve into the status of cultism. I hope not.

Once I was in an elevator in an LAS hotel and Ella was paying on the sound system. I made some comment about scat and got the strangest looks for the other occupants. Too bad.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

If kids today don't know of or appreciate the great jazz artists of the past, then what will happen to real classical music such as Bach & Chopin etc. After a couple of generations will these classics be forgotten forever?

No, they'll continue to thrive in East Asia, where people appreciate the great European artists more than many Europeans do.

• Members

Classical music will always be appreciated but it could very well evolve or devolve into the status of cultism. I hope not.

Once I was in an elevator in an LAS hotel and Ella was paying on the sound system. I made some comment about scat and got the strangest looks for the other occupants. Too bad.

Best regards,

RA1

I was shocked to hear Mozart playing over the sound system in the Orlando airport when I was there in mid-April.

• Members

Many call what is played over Muzac "elevator" music meaning what "they" think of as mind numbing non-current "noise" often heard in public places. This is how "modern music" aficionados dismiss music many of us enjoy.

Best regards,

RA1