AdamSmith

Classic TV that lives vs. dies

The lively thread on Best Written TV Series, especially ihpguy's post about Maude and M.A.S.H. being overrated, got me thinking on how some series we loved first time around just get better with age, while others dwindle.

Genre pairings (I mean 2 shows of same type) seem to make the contrast sharp. E.g., All in the Family holds me today, whereas like ihp notes Maude gets pretty shrill over not that much. Of course Bea Arthur saves anything she is in, but the show itself ... eh. But again to the point, Golden Girls to me remains a delight by comparison with Maude.

Anyone else noticed pairings, of any kind, of shows that on rerun live vs. die?

LA Law vs. all the spinoffs?

Yes!!

However... (That word is how trembling corporate subordinates in Japan, after having agreed to the nines, signal their boss that they are about to contradict him -- "Keredomo" ^_^ ) one must ask:

Even 'Boston Legal'?

I mean, any show that has whatsisname make out with Shatner...!

• Members

At first I thought you were going for Kemo Sabe to include Jay Silverheels and Clayton Moore as you know who. They may have engaged in foreign culture but likely not Japanese. So, what lesson are we preparing to teach? I only watched a few minutes here and there of BL; were there any spin-offs?

I think some of the spin-offs that have Japanese exec.'s trembling are the ones involving Toyota, Lexus and others.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest FourAces

Actually I enjoyed both Roseanne and Married with Children the first time around ... but for whatever the reason even more so now ^_^ A sitcom that I used to like, Home Improvements, doesn't hold my attention anymore :(

I guess with age my tastes change or when I originally watched a show like Home Improvements I was watching a really bad show but didn't know so back then.

For some reason, I tend to watch 24 every few years. Not just a show or two but the entire season. It still holds my interests as does Boston Legal.

I loved Married with Children but have never gotten into the reruns.

The two shows I NEVER tire of are Golden Girls and Sex in the City. Love them to death.