AdamSmith

The Bleak Old Shop of Stuff

Possibly a reason to watch TV (well, computer) again...? ^_^

The Bleak Old Shop of Stuff

A Victorian comedy adventure in the style of Charles Dickens following shop owner Jedrington Secret-Past

b0195ngq.jpg?nodefault=true

• About the show9b806b01c9365673e91a94a50d2bb824e6d9bcd1

The Bleak Old Shop Of Stuff is a new four-part comedy adventure set in the Dickensian world of Jedrington Secret-Past, the up-standing family man and owner of The Old Shop of Stuff, Victorian London's most successful purveyor of miscellaneous odd things.

The series has an impressive ensemble cast led by Robert Webb (That Mitchell And Webb Look) in the role of Jedrington and Katherine Parkinson (The IT Crowd) who plays his wife Conceptiva.

The Christmas special will feature Stephen Fry as the evil lawyer Malifax Skulkingworm alongside David Mitchell (That Mitchell And Webb Look), Celia Imrie (Nanny McPhee), Pauline McLynn (Father Ted) and Johnny Vegas (Ideal). The episode sees Jedrington's family incarcerated by Skulkingworm in London's infamous prison The Skint, until they can repay a mysterious and vast debt. Will Jedrington rescue his family in time for Christmas or lose them forever? And is there more to the name Secret-Past than meets the eye?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0195ngq

• Members

Looks interesting. I must check it out.

Speaking of great TV, I just refreshed my memory of the ITV/PBS series Brother Cadfael, about a medieval detective monk. I discovered it was available on Netflix. The show has lost none of its production edge in twenty years. Still as fresh and intriguing as it was when I first saw it way back when. The only downside to that series is that they produced only thirteen episodes. Those Brits know how to do TV right.

The character names alone make it look worthwhile. :ahappy: From Series 1, Episode 3:

Jedrington Secret Past

Conceptiva Secret Past

Victor

Victoria

Harmswell Grimstone

Pusweasel

Primly Tightclench

Servegood

Mrs Grumblechoop

Smallcolm

Small newsboy

Judge Harshmore Grimstone

Neverlost Dunthem

Episode summary:

Reduced to poverty and gin addiction, Jedrington is at his lowest ebb until his loyal and true servant Servegood restores him to sobriety by the gentle application of a massive cudgel. Reunited with Conceptiva, the two take the evil Mr Grimstone to court to demand the return of the business and their daughter.

But when the judge turns out to be Grimstone's uncle Harshmore, the case seems hopeless. Will the family ever be whole again? Victor's enigmatic chum Smalcolm may hold the key to everyone's happiness.

b018nnkv.jpg?nodefault=true

Speaking of great TV, I just refreshed my memory of the ITV/PBS series Brother Cadfael, about a medieval detective monk. I discovered it was available on Netflix. The show has lost none of its production edge in twenty years. Still as fresh and intriguing as it was when I first saw it way back when. The only downside to that series is that they produced only thirteen episodes. Those Brits know how to do TV right.

Thank you for the pointer!