TotallyOz

Vermont passes law allowing doctor-assisted suicide

Guest hitoallusa

I'm for the law but not sure I will have courage to perform it myself... It's sad to see to put someone to sleep forever... I don't think I could do it...

Guest NCBored

Why we don't allow humans the right die at their own will is beside me. I am happy to see this passed and hope other states follow suit.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/20/us-usa-vermont-assistedsuicide-idUSBRE94J0QC20130520

Totally agree! I watched my mother die of cancer and there was NO reason for her to live those last few months!

I always liked the idea of those euthanasia centers in Soylent Green - a wonderful meal and entertainment, then drift off....

(Although I think I'd prefer to die in my own home.)

Oregon does and I'm a huge supporter.

I don't think I could do it myself, but just having the pills at hand would be wonderful. It would give me a sense of control in the face of the uncontrollable to know that if I couldn't take it, then I could choose to end it.

Giving the terminally ill that choice I think is incredibly important, no matter what they choose to do.

Guest zipperzone

Oregon does and I'm a huge supporter.

I don't think I could do it myself, but just having the pills at hand would be wonderful. It would give me a sense of control in the face of the uncontrollable to know that if I couldn't take it, then I could choose to end it.

Giving the terminally ill that choice I think is incredibly important, no matter what they choose to do.

I totally agree. If a dog was in pain, we would end its life. But for a human? Just suffer through it? Makes no sense at all.

I totally agree. If a dog was in pain, we would end its life. But for a human? Just suffer through it? Makes no sense at all.

Agree too. Thank goodness this movement is finally beginning to win acceptance. U.S. medical practice still has a hard time even bringing itself to medicate sufficiently for terminal pain.

• Members

There are a lot of issues with this. How do we know for sure another is in unremitting and terminal pain? How do we know for sure what their wishes may be? Who do you trust to make this decision for you?

There are some clues and partial answers to some of these questions. One being if you have made out a do not resuscitate request and living will. Generally it must be signed and notarized to be legal. That somewhat solves one issue but is basically used only when one's demise is imminent.

Long term pain can come in many forms both mental and physical. Today and even better in the near term future, we are more able to deal with these problems. Wouldn't you hate to terminate just a little while before they discovered a cure or a method to control the condition? Wouldn't you REALLY hate it if someone else made that decision for you? Of course, if you are gone you may not hate anything but your friends and relatives surely will.

Probably the time to make up your own mind about these kinds of issues is when you are mature enough to have fully realized your own mortality but not sick (enough) to seriously consider doing anything drastic about it. Given that you have achieved that state, Zen or otherwise, I think most states (at least I hope most states) require a fully informed, sane decision from the patient + a consensus from a committee of physicians, family and maybe friends. Committees generally are regarded to make poor decisions but in this case the more safeguards the better.

Just something to think about before you sign up for suicide, assisted or otherwise.

Best regards,

RA1

You're making issues where there aren't any.

The individual in question must personally request the medication, no one can do it for them. _THEY_ decide. There is no place where somebody else can decide this matter for you. Certainly no place where you can administer lethal medication to someone and not risk a murder charge.

In Oregon, the law requires the patient to be diagnosed with a terminal disease. These laws aren't for people who just don't like their lives.

Doctors take their responsibilities very seriously. They are trained and believe in the sanctity of life. Nobody ever does this kind of thing without deep thought.

What galls me is when people, exercising their religious beliefs or their view that they need to protect people, take away those people's ability to make their own choices about their own lives.

• Members

Basically I was making a general statement and it was not intended to be specifically directed towards Oregon or any other state. I was also speculating on possible future legislation although that point may not have been abundantly clear. What I am suggesting is that anyone should personally take responsibility for themselves and think long and hard about what they are doing.

Apparently you live in Oregon. I would be pleased to read any comments you have (in addition to the above) about how things work there. Are there any provisions for lethal Rx to be administered if the patient is indeed terminal but mentally unable to make a decision at that time. For instance, do not resuscitate can be activated in such a case by power of attorney (and other ways but that is the quickest and easiest).

Best regards,

RA1

I don't like the idea of committees or family members making choices for ME. I want to be the maker of my own destiny. I have said for years, should it come to a situation where there is no hope of recovery that I want to make my own timeline of when I go. I do not want anyone else deciding that.

I truly do believe that any sane individual should be able to make 100 percent of the decision for their own life.

Guest NCBored

I don't like the idea of committees or family members making choices for ME. I want to be the maker of my own destiny. I have said for years, should it come to a situation where there is no hope of recovery that I want to make my own timeline of when I go. I do not want anyone else deciding that.

I truly do believe that any sane individual should be able to make 100 percent of the decision for their own life.

What if your mental faculties become impaired? if you suffer a severe stroke or develop dementia and THEN develop a painful & terminal illness, you would be incapable of exerting any control over your destiny.

I lost an aunt a few years ago who had become incapable of rational thought and her daughter insisted that the hospital do everything they could to prolong her life, even though she was in pain, unaware, and her prognosis was terminal.

You can sign a DNR and give medical power of attorney while you are still mentally capable, but I think that's about it ?

Basically I was making a general statement and it was not intended to be specifically directed towards Oregon or any other state. I was also speculating on possible future legislation although that point may not have been abundantly clear. What I am suggesting is that anyone should personally take responsibility for themselves and think long and hard about what they are doing.

Apparently you live in Oregon. I would be pleased to read any comments you have (in addition to the above) about how things work there. Are there any provisions for lethal Rx to be administered if the patient is indeed terminal but mentally unable to make a decision at that time. For instance, do not resuscitate can be activated in such a case by power of attorney (and other ways but that is the quickest and easiest).

Best regards,

RA1

I've been supporters of charities for this for a long time. I know of no location anywhere where it is ever acceptable to administer medication to somebody. They MUST administer it to themselves.

What if your mental faculties become impaired? if you suffer a severe stroke or develop dementia and THEN develop a painful & terminal illness, you would be incapable of exerting any control over your destiny.

You can sign a DNR and give medical power of attorney while you are still mentally capable, but I think that's about it ?

I have done both of those things as well as talked to my family and made sure they knew they would be haunted if they don't pull the plug on me.

I know this is a morbid discussion for many and I do apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings. I just believe that I have lived my life the way I wanted and I hope that my death is done the same way. I know some things can't be controlled and if something happens suddenly that is OK. But, if I do have the ability to make a choice, I want that option.

Guest NCBored

I have done both of those things as well as talked to my family and made sure they knew they would be haunted if they don't pull the plug on me.

I know this is a morbid discussion for many and I do apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings. I just believe that I have lived my life the way I wanted and I hope that my death is done the same way. I know some things can't be controlled and if something happens suddenly that is OK. But, if I do have the ability to make a choice, I want that option.

And, just to be clear, I agree with you & feel the same way. I hope we ARE able to make out own decisions at the end. Alternatively, we make our wishes known and trust others to carry them out in so far as they are able.

• Members

I don't think I'd ever be able to take my own life. I love the idea of a tomorrow and a next day and a day after that. I would, however, want my pain alleviated by gnarly drugs. I've told my family that I am to be a complete and utter burden in my later years.