AdamSmith

A&E bio of Julia Child

• Members

I want to look at this but I am waiting until I have 43 free minutes to do so. I am a fan of the now gone Julia. She was a WWII spy for the US and a very entertaining cook/personality.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

Just finished watching this, while making dinner for this evening and enjoying a few glasses of wine (seems apropos). Thoroughly enjoyed it and learned so much about her that I did not know. Quite an amazing lady that led a very interesting life. Many TV chefs today owe a debt of gratitude to her. Thanks for posting this AS and I will look into getting her memoir. Bon Apetite.

Anytime I see something about Julia, I can't help but thinking of Dan Akroyd doing Julia on SNL. http://www.hulu.com/watch/3523

Quotes by Julia...

“The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook.”
Julia Child
“The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude.”
Julia Child
“If you're afraid of butter, use cream.”
Julia Child
“Find something you're passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it.”
Julia Child
“You'll never know everything about anything, especially something you love.”
Julia Child
“This is my invariable advice to people: Learn how to cook- try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!”
Julia Child, My Life in France
“I think every woman should have a blowtorch.”
Julia Child
“Life itself is the proper binge.”
Julia Child
“How can a nation be called great if its bread tastes like kleenex?”
Julia Child
“...nothing is too much trouble if it turns out the way it should.”
“Everything in moderation... including moderation.”
Julia Child
“Always start out with a larger pot than what you think you need.”
Julia Child
“You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces - just good food from fresh ingredients.”
Julia Child
“Fat gives things flavor.”
Julia Child
“It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it.”
Julia Child
“...no one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.”
“Until I discovered cooking, I was never really interested in anything.”
Julia Child
“Remember, 'No one's more important than people'! In other words, friendship is the most important thing--not career or housework, or one's fatigue--and it needs to be tended and nurtured.”
“You never forget a beautiful thing that you have made,' [Chef Bugnard] said. 'Even after you eat it, it stays with you - always.”
“In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport.”
Julia Child
“I was 32 when I started cooking; up until then, I just ate”
Julia Child
“Once you have mastered a technique, you barely have to look at a recipe again”
Julia Child, Julia's Kitchen Wisdom: Essential Techniques and Recipes from a Lifetime of Cooking
“One of the secrets, and pleasures, of cooking is to learn to correct something if it goes awry; and one of the lessons is to grin and bear it if it cannot be fixed.”
“Maybe the cat has fallen into the stew, or the lettuce has frozen, or the cake has collapsed. Eh bien, tant pis. Usually one's cooking is better than one thinks it is. And if the food is truly vile, then the cook must simply grit her teeth and bear it with a smile, and learn from her mistakes.”
“Upon reflection, I decided I had three main weaknesses: I was confused (evidenced by a lack of facts, an inability to coordinate my thoughts, and an inability to verbalize my ideas); I had a lack of confidence, which caused me to back down from forcefully stated positions; and I was overly emotional at the expense of careful, 'scientific' thought. I was thirty-seven years old and still discovering who I was.”
“We had a happy marriage because we were together all the time. We were friends as well as husband and wife. We just had a good time.”
Julia Child
“Just speak very loudly and quickly, and state your position with utter conviction, as the French do, and you'll have a marvelous time!”
“Just like becoming an expert in wine–you learn by drinking it, the best you can afford–you learn about great food by finding the best there is, whether simple or luxurious. Then you savor it, analyze it, and discuss it with your companions, and you compare it with other experiences.”
Julia Child, Mastering the Art of French Cooking
“But I was a pure romantic, and only operating with half my burners turned on.”
“You are the butter to my bread,and the breath to my life”
Julia Child
“I was thirty-seven years old and still discovering who I was.”
Julia Child
“She was my first cat ever, and I thought she was marvelous. ”
“...small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything.”
Julia Child
“Bon A Petiet"
-Julia Child”
“The sweetness and generosity and politeness and gentleness and humanity of the French had shown me how lovely life can be if one takes time to be friendly.”
“...the waiters carried themselves with a quiet joy, as if their entire mission in life was to make their customers feel comfortable and well tended.”
“We ate the lunch with painful politeness and avoided discussing its taste. I made sure not to apologize for it. This was a rule of mine.
I don't believe in twisting yourself into knots of excuses and explanations over the food you make...
Usually one's cooking is better than one thinks it is. And if the food is vile,...then the cook must simply grit her teeth and bear it with a smile- and learn from her mistakes.”
“I don't believe in twisting yourself into knots of excuses and explanations over the food you make. When one's hostess starts in with self-deprecations such as "Oh, I don't know how to cook...," or "Poor little me...," or "This may taste awful...," it is so dreadful to have to reassure her that everything is delicious and fine, whether it is or not. Besides, such admissions only draw attention to one's shortcomings (or self-perceived shortcomings), and make the other person think, "Yes, you're right, this really is an awful meal!" Maybe the cat has fallen into the stew, or the lettuce has frozen, or the cake has collapsed -- eh bien, tant pis! Usually one's cooking is better than one thinks it is. And if the food is truly vile, as my ersatz eggs Florentine surely were, then the cook must simply grit her teeth and bear it with a smile -- and learn from her mistakes.”
“In the blood-heat of pursuing the enemy, many people are forgetting what we are fighting for. We are fighting for our hard-won liberty and freedom; for our Constitution and the due processes of our laws; and for the right to differ in ideas, religion and politics. I am convinced that in your zeal to fight against our enemies, you, too, have forgotten what you are fighting for.”
“There are only four great arts: music, painting, sculpture, and ornamental pastry- architecture being perhaps the least banal derivative of the latter.”
“I admired the English immensely for all that they had endured, and they were certainly honorable, and stopped their cars for pedestrians, and called you “sir” and “madam,” and so on. But after a week there, I began to feel wild. It was those ruddy English faces, so held in by duty, the sense of “what is done” and “what is not done,” and always swigging tea and chirping, that made me want to scream like a hyena”
“We hit it off immediately, especially Helene, who was a 'swallow-life-in-big-gulps' kind of person.”
Julia Child
“We are so bemused by our own petard, that we are unable to look at things objectively.”
“Drama is very important in life: You have to come on with a bang. You never want to go out with a whimper.”
Julia Child
“The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you’ve got to have a what-the-hell attitude.”
Julia Child
“A party without cake is just a meeting”
Julia Child
“The more you know, the more you can create. There's no end to imagination in the kitchen.”
Julia Child, Particular Passions Talks With Women Who Have Shaped Our Times
“I would far prefer to have things happen as they naturally do, such as the mousse refusing to leave the mold, the potatoes sticking to the skillet, the apple charlotte slowly collapsing. One of the secrets of cooking is to learn to correct something if you can, and bear with it if you cannot.”
Julia Child
“...operational proof...it's all theory until you see for yourself whether or not something works.”
“It was fun, although we felt like pawns, or prawns, in the maelstrom.”
“Ye gods! But you're not standing around holding it by the hand all this time. No. [...] [T]he dough takes care of itself. [...] While you cannot speed up the process, you can slow it down at any point by setting the dough in a cooler place [...] then continue where you left off, when you are ready to do so. In other words, you are the boss of that dough. ”
Julia Child
“To be a good cook you have to have a love of the good, a love of hard work, and a love of creating.”
Julia Child, PARTICULAR PASSIONS P
“You don’t spring into good cooking naked. You have to have some training. You have to learn how to eat.”
Julia Child, PARTICULAR PASSIONS P
“If you don't pick your audience, you're lost because you're not really talking to anybody.”
Julia Child, Particular Passions Talks With Women Who Have Shaped Our Times
“Was it a sign of Creeping Decrepitude?”
“Standing up through the Citroen's open sunroof, my six-foot-three-inch, red-cheeked sister pointed a long, trembling finger at the perpetrator and with maximum indignation yelled: 'Ce merde-monsieur a justement crache dans ma derriere!' Her intended meaning is obvious, but what she said was, 'This shit-man just spat out into my butt!”
“I had a lack of confidence, which caused me to back down from forcefully stated positions; an i was overly emotional at the expense of careful, "scientific" thought. I was thirty-seven years old and still discovering who I was”
Julia Child

http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/3465.Julia_Child?page=2