Guest CharliePS

Minnesota House passes gay marriage

Guest CharliePS

It's expected to pass the Senate, and the Gov. says he'll sign it. That would make three states already this month. I wonder how this will play among the justices in SCOTUS.

Guest FourAces

Awesome, this news comes on the anniversary of President Obama making history by pledging his support for same sex marriage.

Guest hitoallusa

Wow that's awesome... I really don't know which state to get married in... ^_^

It's expected to pass the Senate, and the Gov. says he'll sign it. That would make three states already this month. I wonder how this will play among the justices in SCOTUS.

Well, the SCOTUS has to be watching this and realizing that a bad judgement will make them look like the old school judges they actually are. I do think these recent cases will play out well for us.

But, don't you think the vote has already taken place and decisions are being written?

But, don't you think the vote has already taken place and decisions are being written?

Well, but there's many a slip twixt cup and lip. Justices can and often enough do change their position after the initial vote in conference, as they draft, circulate, and redraft majority and dissenting opinions.

As Roberts reportedly did on Obamacare, for instance.

(In The Brethren Woodward reported that Chief Justice Burger would often vote with the majority solely so he would be able to assign who would write the majority opinion, regardless of which side of the issue he actually agreed with. The book in general painted a very unflattering portrait of him. A vastly entertaining read, if distressing at many times.)

Guest hitoallusa

Governor is about to sign the legislation...^_^ I think it will take a couple of months to take effect so I am relieved that I don't have to find a guy to marry right away.. I still have an excuse that I'm waiting for it to take effect... Lol..^_^

Guest hitoallusa

I love his voice but he isn't gay, not that I know of.. I think I could listen to him all day.. ^_^

So you have time to propose to Garrison Keillor! :heart:

• Members

Well, the SCOTUS has to be watching this and realizing that a bad judgement will make them look like the old school judges they actually are. I do think these recent cases will play out well for us.

Most probably. DOMA will be struck down and Prop 8 will be written very narrowly so as not to get out front of the parade of states.

Most probably. DOMA will be struck down and Prop 8 will be written very narrowly so as not to get out front of the parade of states.

That would be a good enough outcome for this moment in history, all things taken together. Wonder if that could be what Ginsburg was hinting aglance in her recent comments that Roe as handed down shut off a debate and process among the polis?