AdamSmith

Louisiana counts the cost of teaching creationism – in reputation and dollars

Guest hitoallusa

Oh my I love guys with a little belly.. I can use it as my pillow when I can't sleep... But come to think of it my head is heavy so I guess it might hinder his digestion the next day... Life is not easy... ^_^

Not me. I just know folks who can cook.

I am, however, a fairly accomplished diner. :rolleyes:

hombre-hambriento-600x848.jpg

• Members

Of course I know that and personally I don't care for the appellation at all but what I wrote was accurate, he calls himself that. A pretty unusual guy (as are most we know, aren't they?). He played football for Ole Miss, ran a very successful business, ran for a local political office recently and certainly knew where the locals went in the MSY area for good food. He also is fond of saying he is queer for girls, whatever that might mean. :smile:

Best regards,

RA1

A pretty unusual guy (as are most we know, aren't they?). He played football for Ole Miss, ran a very successful business, ran for a local political office recently and certainly knew where the locals went in the MSY area for good food. He also is fond of saying he is queer for girls, whatever that might mean. :smile:

Hmm! Instead of just dumping the ex, sounds like I should have traded him in for your friend. :hug:

• Members

Where can one go to make that kind of deal? It should be over whelmed with business. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

Sounds like something that might exist in jolly old.......... at least as a theory. ^_^

There are exes and there are exes; let's go for NEXT. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

Even more egregious is the Texas Board of Education commissioning national book publishers to produce text books that are factually inaccurate about science and history or pick and choose which facts and persons are to be presented in their text books. As an example, they have chosen to omit founding fathers: Jefferson, Washington and Adams from their history curriculum. (http://nerdfighters.ning.com/forum/topics/rewriting-history-the-texas-textbook-debacle) Imagine what they do to science, especially the biological sciences.

I wouldn't much care about those Texas assholes turning their state into an intellectual outhouse if it only influenced Texas education. Seems sort of fitting. But what Texas does influences the text books that are offered to all of the states for the modern curriculum. The reason for this is buying power. Texas buys so many textbooks that they can demand what they want. Other states are not big enough buyers to commission their own curricula, so they fall in line or do without.

Louisiana and Jindal are pissing in their own well and will have to drink from it. I have no problem with that if Jindal, the pols, and the stupid electorate want vie with Mississippi as the armpit of the nation. That is States Rights. But Texas is pissing in every state's well fucking all of us over.

Another great example of unbridled capitalism at work.

• Members

It seems to be really difficult to know what historical "facts" are indeed correct. Ever personally observe an automobile accident and then read about it in the local newspaper? Usually it makes one wonder who was actually there and what actually happened because the "news" account is usually so different from what one observed. That sort of thing makes me question a lot of things ordinarily taught as history. Then, to make matters even worse, today's media brings in so called experts who most of the time manage to mangle even further what is being reported. No wonder after being filtered and interpreted a few times it bears no resemblance to what actually happened.

I am in no way defending Texas' methodology or teaching products. I would much prefer that a wide and varied view of most any subject be offered. What seems to be going on is politics which seems to effect most every school district. I don't quite see the tie in to capitalism but maybe I am missing something.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

I am in no way defending Texas' methodology or teaching products. I would much prefer that a wide and varied view of most any subject be offered. What seems to be going on is politics which seems to effect most every school district. I don't quite see the tie in to capitalism but maybe I am missing something.

Best regards,

RA1

As I said, Texas is welcome to piss in its own well all it wants. Where capitalism ties in is that Texas' economic leverage sets the market for all of us whether we like it or not. We cannot commission a more objective curriculum because we do not have the 'pockets' for it. Once again, the monied interests call the tune.

Texas is rich and stupid for pissing in its own well. The book publishers are selling our education to the highest bidder and capitalism says that is the way it is suppose to work. Is that a good outcome?

That is a good example of why capitalism might be good for economic interests and not so good for public interests. That is not the only example, most certainly. Don't get me started on health care, prison management, and flight aviation management, aka the FAA flight control function. I could go on and on... That is not to say that capitalism does not serve us well in many venues, just not in all venues, and always with a modicum of regulation, umm... like antitrust statutes.

• Members

Texas isn't bigger that the rest of the country combined so if there is a determined effort to go around their economic clout it will happen. One problem with this country is our inertia. We can elect better pols, change our laws, etc, but we can't be bothered to become informed about what needs to be done and how to go about it. Pity.

Best regards,

RA1