Guest FourAces

World's Top 50 Restaurants

Guest FourAces

According to Restaurant magazine... Has anyone had the opportunity to dine at one or more of these establishments? If so does it match up to its rating?

1) El Celler de Can Roca (Girona, Spain)

2) Noma (Copenhagen, Denmark)

3) Osteria Francescana (Modena, Italy)

4) Mugaritz (Errenteria, Spain)

5) Eleven Madison Park (New York)

6) D.O.M. (São Paulo, Brazil)

7) Dinner by Heston Blumenthal (London, England)

8) Arzak (San Sebastián, Spain)

9) Steirereck (Vienna, Austria)

10) Vendôme (Bergisch Gladbach, Germany)

11) Per Se (New York)

12) Frantzén/Lindeberg (Stockholm, Sweden)

13) The Ledbury (London, England)

14) Astrid y Gastón (Lima, Perú)

15) Alinea (Chicago, Illinois)

16) L'Arpege (Paris, France)

17) Pujol (Mexico City, Mexico)

18) Le Chateaubriand (Paris, France)

19) Le Bernardin (New York)

20) Narisawa (Tokyo, Japan)

21) Attica (Melbourne, Australia)

22) Nihonryori RyuGin (Tokyo, Japan)

23) L'Astrance (Paris, France)

24) L'Atelier Saint-Germain de Joël Robuchon (Paris, France)

25) Hof van Cleve (Kruishoutem, Belgium)

26) Quique Dacosta (Denia, Spain)

27) Le Calandre (Rubano, Italy)

28) Mirazur (Menton, France)

29) Daniel (New York)

30) Aqua (Wolfsburg, Germany)

31) Biko (Mexico City, Mexico)

32) Nahm (Bangkok, Thailand)

33) The Fat Duck (Bray, England)

34) Fäviken Magasinet (Järpen, Sweden)

35) Oud Sluis (Sluis, Netherlands)

36) Amber (Hong Kong, China)

37) Vila Joya (Albufeira, Portugal)

38) Restaurant Andre (Singapore)

39) 8 1/2 Otto E Mezzo Bombana (Hong Kong, China)

40) Combal.Zero (Rivoli, Italy)

41) Piazza Duomo (Alba, Italy)

42) Schloss Schauenstein (Fürstenau, Switzerland)

43) Mr & Mrs Bund (Shanghai, China)

44) Asador Etxebarri (Atxondo-Bizkaia, Spain)

45) Geranium (Copenhagen, Denmark)

46) Maní (São Paulo, Brazil)

47) The French Laundry (Yountville, California)

48) Quay (Sydney, Australia)

49) Septime (Paris, France)

50) Central (Lima, Peru)

• Members

A dozen or so years ago, I went to The French Laundry. At the time, it was considered the best in the world and was, in fact, 'all that' and more.

I had a goose liver pâté that made butter seem grainy in comparison. When the beef course showed up, I was disappointed by how small it looked on the plate; I needn't have worried, as a few ounces of the stuff was as filling as a steak.

Thomas Keller dropped by at the end of the meal to a chorus of praise, and threw in a couple of extra dessert courses.

I don't know what the tab was for the eight of us, with wine at every course, as a company vendor picked up the check. What I do know is that I have never felt the need to go to a luxe restaurant since then, as I'm pretty sure it would be no better and very likely not as good. yummy.gif

Guest NCBored

A dozen or so years ago, I went to The French Laundry. At the time, it was considered the best in the world and was, in fact, 'all that' and more.

I had a goose liver pâté that made butter seem grainy in comparison. When the beef course showed up, I was disappointed by how small it looked on the plate; I needn't have worried, as a few ounces of the stuff was as filling as a steak.

Thomas Keller dropped by at the end of the meal to a chorus of praise, and threw in a couple of extra dessert courses.

I don't know what the tab was for the eight of us, with wine at every course, as a company vendor picked up the check. What I do know is that I have never felt the need to go to a luxe restaurant since then, as I'm pretty sure it would be no better and very likely not as good. yummy.gif

I'm envious! I have always wanted to try Per Se, Keller's NY establishment. Just found this interesting tidbit on Wikipedia, while I was confirming that Per Se is indeed Keller's: "The kitchens of both restaurants are connected via a real-time video feed on a television screen."

Guest hitoallusa

I think it's very subjective ranking and it doesn't have any meaning. If food is good people will come. ^_^ I think they are doing this to stimulate the industry and acknowledge culinary geniuses. But I would like to also acknowledge those who can help these chefs to come up with business plan to make profits. It's combination of hard work, talent, investment, business acumen and some subjective rigging put these restaurants on the list.

Guest EXPAT

#29 Daniel in NYC is my all time favorite restaurant.

I also loved The French Laundry as well. My second favorite restaurant is Gundel in Budapest, but I see it didn't make the list.

Guest CharliePS

I haven't eaten at Le Bernardin in years; it used to be very good. Many of these restaurants are in places that one would have to travel to solely in order to eat at the restaurant, which is not something I am inclined to do.