TotallyOz

New Zealand Gay Marriage: Lawmakers Approve Marriage Equality Bill

WELLINGTON, New Zealand — Hundreds of jubilant gay-rights advocates celebrated at New Zealand's Parliament as the country became the 13th in the world and the first in the Asia-Pacific region to legalize same-sex marriage.

Lawmakers voted 77 to 44 in favor of the gay-marriage bill on its third and final reading Wednesday night. People watching from the public gallery and some lawmakers immediately broke into song after the result was announced, singing the New Zealand love song "Pokarekare Ana" in the indigenous Maori language.

"For us, we can now feel equal to everyone else," said bank teller Tania Penafiel Bermudez, who said she already considers herself married to partner Sonja Fry but now can get a certificate to prove it. "This means we can feel safe and fair and right in calling each other wife and wife."

In one of several speeches that ended in a standing ovation, bill sponsor Louisa Wall told lawmakers the change was "our road toward healing."

"In our society, the meaning of marriage is universal – it's a declaration of love and commitment to a special person," she said. She added that "nothing could make me more proud to be a New Zealander than passing this bill."

Most political party leaders had encouraged lawmakers to vote by their conscience rather than along party lines. Although Wall is from the opposition Labour Party, the bill also was supported by center-right Prime Minister John Key.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/17/new-zealand-gay-marriage_n_3098762.html

Guest hitoallusa

Congrats... I don't think accepting gay marriage will hurt straight marriage at all. On the contrary it will strengthen one's commitment to one another in both gay and straight marriges. There are more than a dozen countries that I can get married in now but I do not have a single guy committed to me..:( Hmm I need a counselor..