TownsendPLocke

Things that are no longer around! The lost bars of San Francisco

• Members

Neat list of San Francisco Gay bars that are no longer there.
When I first started "running away"to SF in 1975 most of these were still around. You will notice that there were Gay bars in many areas of the city-you were not restricted to the Castro or SoMa I had a LOT of fun back in the day! Gay life now is a pale shadow of the fun we used to have

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=204308129084127659047.0004ae197e7ef9d21644a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=37.758844,-122.42642&spn=0.094288,0.052295&source=embed

Guest Hoover42

Very cool. I visited San Francisco for the first time in in 1976 then again in 1980 and I remember a number of those bars along Polk street (remember all those hustlers that used to hang out there?)

• Members

Oh boy do I remember Polk Street!

I lived very close to PolkStrausse (in the Tenderloin,,,home of many bars of Ill Repute) between 1982-1989 and staggered home many a morning.

I lived right across from a gay bar owned by a drag"queen" named Francine. She was a delicate 6 foot five inch flower who cussed,drank and spit like a sailor, I picked up Rick Donnovan in that bar!