TotallyOz

Great Young Man with Great Project: He just finished climbing Everest

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cason-crane/the-rainbow-summits-project_b_2769290.html

Cason Crane, who will be enrolled at Princeton University this fall, has been all over the world, climbing peaks that would make any normal person weary at only twenty years old. He climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro with his mother in 2008 at age 15. Since then, he has climbed mountains in the United States, New Zealand, Russia, Switzerland, France, and Argentina. He is the founder of the Rainbow Summits Project, which ties together his passion for climbing with his advocacy for the Trevor Project, and organization which seeks to stop suicides in LGBTQ youth. The Rainbow Summits Project hopes to raise awareness and funds by climbing the highest peak on each continent, commonly referred to as "the seven summits". Crane told Out Sports, "I'm so lucky to have had such a positive experience and I'm doing this project for kids like this who have had a much tougher time, who deal with this every day, who love sports but are afraid to even go to sports games for fear of being beaten up or called names and that just shouldn't happen. He's way more courageous than I am and it shows true character to do what he does every single day." Cason will be the first openly gay person to accomplish this feat, in addition to becoming the fifth youngest person ever to climb these mountains.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/skarlan/gay-teen-mountaineer-has-sights-set-on-everest

• Members

I think this is a wonderful project and this young man is doing something significant for himself and others. However, I cannot help but wonder who is paying for his efforts. It is very expensive to mount an expedition to climb such as Mt. Everest. I have a client whose wife made such an expedition and I thought I would never hear the end of how much it cost in time and money.

Best regards,

RA1