TotallyOz

Gay and Gay Friendly Bars in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

Bars

1 Galeria Cafe | Rua Teixeira de Mello, 31 | 21 2523-8250 | http://www.galeriacafe.com.br/

What the Galeria lacks in size it more than makes up for in its expertly made drinks, gorgeous crowd of men, and fun theme nights. Head downstairs to see the boys get their groove on, or stay upstairs for a lounge atmosphere.

2 Expresso Carioca | Rua Farme de Amoedo, 76 | (21) 2267-8604 | no website

This bar goes from morning 'til late, so come by anytime and hang out on the outdoor terrace and watch the world go past on this popular street. Or, head inside at night to be absolutely immersed in hot gay boys. Your choice!

3 Maxim's | Avenida Atlântica, 1850 | (21) 2255-7444 | no website

Maxim's has a great staff that keeps the fun going, and a trans crowd that knows how to party. Show up later in the evening for the shows and antics.

4 Tô Nem Aí | Rua Farme de Amoedo 57 | (02) 1224-7840 |

Just back from the most popular gay beach in Rio, this bar, which opens at noon, is the perfect place to duck out of the hot sun while losing none of the hot action. You can also grab a bite to eat here, day or night although it can get packed after dark, so best stick to cocktails and cocks.

5 00 | Avenida Padre Leonel Franca, 240 | (55) 2125-4080 | http://www.00site.com.br/

This bar, pronounced "Zero Zero," has a little bit of everything a restaurant area, a lounge bar, and a club space where things can get Rio-level fun. There's also an outdoor area for quieter chats. It can be a bit snobby-bitchy, but it's worth it to be so close to so many beautiful young things.

6 Turma OK | Rua do Rezende, 43 | (21) 2507-4622 | http://www.turmaok.com.br/

Any gay bar that has been around for more than 50 years is "OK" in our book. Go to Turma OK for some of the best drag in Brazil, including some big names as well as drag pagaents, and the hilariously named "Mr. OK" contests for older clientele.

7 TV Bar | AV. Nossa Senhora de Copacabana, 1417 | (21) 2267-1663 | http://www.bartvbar.com.br/

As its name suggests, this gar bar has a TV theme, with nightly events called "Channels" and an emphasis on music videos. Check their schedule for guest DJs, bear nights, and other fun events.

Guest tomcal

The only one on the above list that I have been to is number 4, Tô Nem Aí. I go there every trip for several reasons.

1)It is directly across the street from Galitos chicken restaurant, one of Lurkers and my favorites!

2)it is the local neigborhood gay bar in Ipanema

3)It is 2 blocks in from the beach on the "gay" street Rua Farme de Amoedo and 2 blocks from my apartment.

4)It is a fun place to go for a drink with whoever you brought home from the sauna for your overnight date!

5)It has a light menu of food so you can drink and eat while holding your new boyfriends hand! They are also now open for lunch.

Most nights you will see guys spilling into the street and standing on the sidewalk next to the restaurant railing smoking. the crowd is mostly 21 to 40 but guys in their 50's and 60's would not feel uncomfortable. On my trip there last December, I went one night by myself to have a drink as I didn't bring anyone back from the sauna. I had one of the tables along the railing lining the sidewalk and I got picked up by a guy there! :-) Definitely check it out!