AdamSmith

Michelle Shocked tries to walk it back

The market speaks, the bitch recants. Will anyone swallow it?

Michelle Shocked 'damn sorry' for anti-gay comments

Singer says her San Francisco outburst was merely reporting homophobic views she does not share

Michelle Shocked has responded to reports that she went on a homophobic rant at a recent gig, insisting she has been misunderstood. "My support for the LGBT community … has never wavered," she said in an open letter sent out by her publicist, claiming she was simply trying to speak up for "Christians with opinions I in no way share".

"I do not, nor have I ever, said or believed that God hates homosexuals (or anyone else)," Shocked wrote on Wednesday. "I said that some of His followers believe that."

Unfortunately for Shocked, her statement follows the release of audio from the 17 March show, obtained by the San Francisco Bay Guardian. While the recording is a little hard to follow, Shocked clearly drew a line between California's gay marriage legislation and a Christian apocalypse. "From their vantage point – and I really shouldn't say 'their', because it's mine too – we are nearly at the end of time," she is heard to say, "and from our vantage point, we're gonna be – I think maybe Chinese water torture is going to be the method. Once Prop 8 gets [repealed] and once preachers are held at gunpoint and forced to marry the homosexuals, I'm pretty sure that that will be the signal for Jesus to come on back."

"You are going to leave here and tell people 'Michelle Shocked said God hates faggots,'" Shocked declared. The venue's employees eventually stopped the gig by cutting the sound and lights.

On Wednesday, Shocked tried to distance herself from those remarks. "My statement equating repeal of [Proposition] 8 with the coming of the End Times was neither literal nor ironic: it was a description of how some folks – not me – feel about gay marriage," she wrote. "I believe intolerance comes from fear, and these folks are genuinely scared."

"I believe in a God who loves everyone," Shocked went on, "and my faith tells me to do my best to also love everyone. Everyone: gay or straight, stridently gay, self-righteously faithful." Just as she does not "judge … homosexuality", she refuses to judge the evangelical Christians who revile it. "I may disagree with someone's most fervently held belief, but I will not hate them."

For Shocked, who is a born-again Christian, this is a key distinction: hating the belief, not the believer. "I am damn sorry," she wrote. "If I could repeat the evening, I would make a clearer distinction between a set of beliefs I abhor, and my human sympathy for the folks who hold them … In this controversy, [my position] means speaking for Christians with opinions I in no way share about homosexuality. Will I endorse them? Never. Will I disavow them? Never."

Members of the singer's audience who "applauded my so-called stance that 'God hates faggots'" should offer gay people "mercy, not hate", Shocked wrote. "And I hope that what remains of my audience will meet that intolerance with understanding, even of those who might hate them."

It remains to be seen whether Shocked's fans will heed her advice and show "understanding" . It also remains to be seen whether Shocked will be able to resume her US tour. All 11 of the remaining scheduled dates have reportedly been called off by the promoters, including an appearance at the Telluride Bluegrass festival. The singer's website still shows a calendar of European appearances, but most of these are described as "tentative" and at least one, Germany's Burg Herzberg festival, has dropped her from the bill.

"To those fans who are disappointed by what they've heard or think I said, I'm very sorry," Shocked wrote. "I don't always express myself as clearly as I should … I'd like to say this was a publicity stunt, but I'm really not that clever, and I'm definitely not that cynical."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/mar/21/michelle-shocked-sorry-anti-gay-comments

Guest hitoallusa

Not all Christians agree to what she spoke at the event so blaming on other Christians is wrong for her to do so. She expressed what she simply heard without fully digesting what she meant. Everybody makes mistakes and I hope people give her a second chance. ^_^ At least she came around and apologized.

Guest rimchair

Saying "God hates fags" in SF is akin to saying "Heil HItler" in Tel Aviv, offensive? Why wasn't bigoted cunt performing at CPAC instead?

Of course now the apology tour has begun now that all her upcoming US concerts have been canceled. You can sign a petition to have her Euro dates canceled below:

http://www.boytoy.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13294-using-the-word-fag-in-articles-and-stories-on-boytoy/page-3

caeron may have a point about her coming unhinged...

Singer Michelle Shocked Sits in at Canceled Show

ap_michelle_shocked_protest_moes_santa_c

Alternative folk singer Michelle Shocked sits outside Moe's Alley nightclub in Santa Cruz Calif., and sings, March 28, 2013 in protest after her show was canceled when she made an anti-gay slur earlier this month. (Thomas Vincent Mendoza/AP)
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. March 29, 2013 (AP)

Face covered and mouth taped shut, alternative folk and rock singer Michelle Shocked staged a sit in outside a Santa Cruz nightclub that canceled her show because she made an anti-gay slur at a San Francisco club earlier this month.

The tape across her mouth said "Silenced By Fear." When asked a question, Shocked shook her head vigorously and strummed her guitar while seated on the ground outside popular music venue Moe's Alley. She pointed to a sign inviting people to pick up a Sharpie marker and write on the white disposable safety suit she was wearing.

Earlier in the day, she had tweeted her plans: "Moe's in S Cruz tonight ok? Its an art project 'My Summer Vacation' I want your autograph. Bring Sharpie."

Moe's Alley owner Bill Welch, who talked with Shocked as she strummed her guitar outside his club, had replaced her with bands Beaver Fever and Frootie Flavors.

"We will not be bashing Michelle Shocked," he said. "Rather we will celebrate music, diversity and send some healing Santa Cruz energy her way."

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/singer-michelle-shocked-sits-canceled-show-18836722#.UVWr71dvDpg

• Members

One has to wonder if the saying "Any publicity is good publicity" is really true when someone like her seems to be going off the rails. Someone earlier questioned her mental stability and I have to agree it is very questionable.

Guest rimchair

Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs!

This is what happens when a liberal goes "Christian". Send her to Memphis on a 787...

""In the mid-1990s, Shocked joined the choir of the West Angeles Church of God in Christ. After attending for several years, she became a born again Christian.[2]Since her religious conversion, Shocked has made statements against homosexuality, linking this stance to her religious beliefs.""

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelle_Shocked