Guest EXPAT

Best note a Dad can leave for his closeted son

Guest hitoallusa

If I had a son and he came out, I think I will open a party for him. And then we will go for shoe shopping... ^_^ But if he is straight then I will be happy too. I have evolved too... I didn't like what most of my gay friends and I ended up. But I think it's getting better...

Guest FourAces

Its a very touching note but over the years I have become very skeptical of things like this seen online. One thing that stands out to me as "missing" is what would be a more common signature such as , "love" Dad. Just signing it Dad doesn't seem real to me.

Guest NCBored

Its a very touching note but over the years I have become very skeptical of things like this seen online. One thing that stands out to me as "missing" is what would be a more common signature such as , "love" Dad. Just signing it Dad doesn't seem real to me.

The last line above the signature says 'I've loved you since you were born', so maybe that's why he didn't repeat it.

It also has a matter-of-fact, non-sentimental tone, IMO.

But as for it's authenticity - I wouldn't wager anything either way.

• Members

ANY conversation along these lines can only be applauded. Perhaps we should not nitpick exactly what others might have intended. Surely the point was to include the son into the family, even more than before.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest FourAces

ANY conversation along these lines can only be applauded. Perhaps we should not nitpick exactly what others might have intended. Surely the point was to include the son into the family, even more than before.

Best regards,

RA1

Well its obvious that the Father was offering his son complete acceptance. But you are a bit over the top referring to questioning the validity of the letter further. I can think of many reasons why a gay activist would put such a accepting letter out. Its healthy to question what we see / read and so on.

RA I believe you are a pilot or have a fascination with flying (if I recall correctly). About 15 years or so ago there was a passenger flight leaving Hawaii when a warning went off that three of its four engines were either on fire or failing. The captain simply did not believe what he was seeing ... he questioned it ... and decided not to turn off the three failing engines bwhich could place the plane in danger of a splash ... instead he turned off the engine that was showing as operational ... and thank God he did question what he saw as he was 100% correct. (disclaimer the details might not be 100 percent correct but are noted to the best of my memory).

Anyway I will continue to question I will continue to be skeptical I will continue to ask what the agenda might be and I hope others out there do as well.

• Members

4 Aces-

You have completely baffled me by your post. I don't think that I questioned the validity of the letter at all. I wonder why you question the validity of my post.

Indeed I am a professional pilot. No sane or responsible pilot would shut down 3 engines regardless of any indication until and unless there was irrevocable evidence of the necessity to do so. I cannot imagine many circumstances where that would be true. Shutting down the "only" engine that was apparently operating normally would be VERY unusual.

I fail to understand your point. Sorry.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest FourAces

4 Aces-

You have completely baffled me by your post. I don't think that I questioned the validity of the letter at all. I wonder why you question the validity of my post.

Indeed I am a professional pilot. No sane or responsible pilot would shut down 3 engines regardless of any indication until and unless there was irrevocable evidence of the necessity to do so. I cannot imagine many circumstances where that would be true. Shutting down the "only" engine that was apparently operating normally would be VERY unusual.

I fail to understand your point. Sorry.

Best regards,

RA1

RA as for the letter I did misread part of what you wrote. I hope the letter is valid but do question whether it is or not. Anyway sorry for a confusing reply above.

• Members

It is always amazing to me when two or more people with the same first language misunderstand each other. However, it happens all the time, doesn't it? My only point was it didn't matter to me whether the letter was valid or not, the important thing was the activity and sentiment portrayed in it.

Several years ago I was in NZ ready to go back to the US and waiting upon the arrival of a UA 747 to do so. However the captain of the incoming flight decided that an oil pressure low indication was "real" and diverted to HNL, Honolulu. Now a 747 is a large 4 engine transport aircraft. Each engine has several secondary indications available concerning any oil "situation". One being an oil quantity guage, which showed full. Two being an oil temperature guage which showed normal temperature. In fact there were no indications of any problem other than the one oil pressure guage which showed low pressure. It turned out to be a guage problem as virtually everyone suspected except maybe the captain. Of course, taking the safe course is always correct in the grand scheme of things but expensive.

The flight arrived at AKL (NZ) 12 hours late. UA re-booked most of the pax on the return flight on other airlines. The crew that was in NZ for the return flight continued their rest stop and this flight left 12 hours late or 12 hours early the next day, take your choice. It was one of the most enjoyable long distance flights I have ever taken. The crew basically outnumbered the pax and everyone was very relaxed and friendly as a result.

I happened to be traveling with a 747 captain friend who said he would not have diverted to HNL. Lots of things happen on flights, particularly long distance flights and how the captain handles them is the point of paying him or her the big bucks. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

RA I believe you are a pilot or have a fascination with flying (if I recall correctly). About 15 years or so ago there was a passenger flight leaving Hawaii when a warning went off that three of its four engines were either on fire or failing. The captain simply did not believe what he was seeing ... he questioned it ... and decided not to turn off the three failing engines bwhich could place the plane in danger of a splash ... instead he turned off the engine that was showing as operational ... and thank God he did question what he saw as he was 100% correct. (disclaimer the details might not be 100 percent correct but are noted to the best of my memory).

RA's got the actual experience, I have the armchair fascination with flying.

I don't think I've heard of an incident like this in the jet age, but would be interested to know more.

There have been instances of pilots accidentally shutting down or pulling fire bottles on the wrong engine... Also getting "locked in" on trying to figure out a spurious indication on an otherwise fully functional aircraft and either creating problems in troubleshooting or simply forgetting to fly the plane.

• Members

EA flight 401 is a classic example of this. The crew of the L1011 became so absorbed with "fixing" a landing gear indication light that they allowed the aircraft to descend into the swamp.

Murphy's Law. If it can be "wrongly" done, someone, sometime, will do it (wrongly).

Best regards,

RA1