TotallyOz

Samsung Galaxy S 4 looks Incredible

If you believe in an Apple networked environment like I have in my house then this phone is just a flash in the pan. I'll pass.

I do and I love Apple but the larger screen that I can see will make a difference for me. I wish Apple allowed their IPads to be used as a telephone. :smile: That is the perfect size for me. :smile:

• Members

You have not had an Iphone for ages and if you did we would have gotten a lot more photos, with no excuse as too big to carry with you. LOL

The rolling technology looks interesting , but unless it can be linked with Apple's Cloud , you would be giving up too much.

This from someone who has had every Iphone and have always thought it sucked as a phone but great as everything else.

I put up with the bad connections and blame it on ATT when I know most of it is the Iphones fault.

Guest EXPAT

The gimmicks in the Samsung Galaxy are just gimmicks. As I used to tell my customers when I was selling enterprise technology, you have to look at your "total solution" and what you want to accomplish with your technology - not the latest gimmick on some device on the network. Samsung does not have a solution for the home at all; they just have gimmicks. Apple all the way for me.

• Members

I have a Samsung already too and am pretty interested in the S4. The new features sound cool but also mine seems to have hit its expiration date and is going downhill fast. Which doesn't exactly make Samsung my first choice for a replacement, but the S4 is pretty cool...

Guest hitoallusa

I would go with Apple... I just didn't like the accusations that Apple made against Samsung but prefer Apple products... The corporate structure at Samsung seems a bit rigid and they only seem to be interested in making more money at the expense of others and manipulate the system.. Who can blame them? After all everyone wants to make money... But too much rigging the market and the system by Samsung I get tired of...

So I decided to buy an Apple product again so I can give my support to Apple and bring back some balance... I'm not against big companies but one gets too big so that it controls the market, I'm against.

• Members

If you believe in an Apple networked environment like I have in my house then this phone is just a flash in the pan. I'll pass.

What do you mean by an Apple networked environment in a house?

I am really interested in learning about how to make myself better technologically savvy and set up something for my home that would I could get the most out of as I am recently retired and plan on spending more time at home these days compared to the past. Just curious and interested.

• Members

I looked at some of these larger screen phones yesterday at a Verizon store and was amazed at how much lighter and larger they are than my current phone,

But-is that a good thing? My current phone ( an HTC G2) is of a perfect size for my shirt pocket and I am thinking most guys carry their phones in a shirt pocket.These larger phones would be very snug in this pocket if they would fit at all. And these new phones are so very thin that I would be nervous carrying in my pants pocket. Also they are so light that you would not feel their presence.

But with that said I will be looking at a new (Android)phone in the very near future.

• Members

What do you mean by an Apple networked environment in a house?

I am really interested in learning about how to make myself better technologically savvy and set up something for my home that would I could get the most out of as I am recently retired and plan on spending more time at home these days compared to the past. Just curious and interested.

If you drink the kool-aid then replace everything you own with Apple's version it generally works together really well, and you get certain synergies like being able to display stuff on your TV from you phone with AppleTV.

But it all costs more and it generally doesn't play as well with non-Apple devices.

You can do similar stuff with Android, they have a bunch of TV-connectable appliances for example, but it's a not nearly as slick or easy to setup.

Guest EXPAT

If you drink the kool-aid then replace everything you own with Apple's version it generally works together really well, and you get certain synergies like being able to display stuff on your TV from you phone with AppleTV.

But it all costs more and it generally doesn't play as well with non-Apple devices.

You can do similar stuff with Android, they have a bunch of TV-connectable appliances for example, but it's a not nearly as slick or easy to setup.

It's not more expensive and it works perfectly with any other device that comes in my house. I just don't have to deal with all of the awful Microsoft baggage that comes with their software.

And now owning a Kindle Fire, I'm getting used to the android apps which are horribly written compared to the Apple apps. clearly Android doesn't have the specs requirement to keep bugs and errors from their apps. The facebook app for example is awful on android compared to Apple. It's a huge difference between the platforms.

• Members

"Works" in some basic ways, sure. But every other WiFi router on the planet you just setup/administrate through a web page, so you can do it from *anything*. Apple's AirPort? No, you have to run this asinine app, only on OSX, IOS and maybe Win if you can stomach the stupid shit it installs.

Android apps are a bit of a mess, I'll give you that. But many many free ones, and much less locked down on what you can and can't do on the devices you own.

Guest hitoallusa

I don't have an apple wifi router and it works fine with my apple device... ^_^ I don't think you have to buy all Apple... I just need my iPhone and MacBook that's enough.. I donated one iMAC to a family and I'm sure they are putting into a good use. ^_^

Guest FourAces

The S4 a awesome follow up to the hugely popular S3. I don't think its fair though to compare it to an iPhone. These days Android is as fluid as the iPhone as is Microsofts Metro UI on Windows Phones. What it really comes down to now is the ecosystem .... are you hooked into iTunes, iCloud, iMacs if so then Apple is probably for you. Or do you use gmail, google maps and the host of other google related services if so then Android is your best bet.

The large screen thin and light weight S4 is a very appealing device but the new gestures are not very practical. After the noverlity wears off they will wear thin. Whats under the hood powering the new device is quite impressive and as always the easy customization of Android is outstanding.

If you're thinking of the S4 I would also take a quick look at the Note 2 and HTCs new flagship the HTC One with its outstanding front facing speaker system.