Guest FourAces

Terrible Obituary

Guest FourAces

A friend from my youth passed away the other day. Obviously the news was sad to receive however the obituary in the paper was absurd.

Forget for a moment how confusing it was ... my favorite (for lack of a better word) line went like this. He is survived by his father Mark and his late mother Sarah. WTF? if his mom has already passes away how can he be noted as a survivor?

• Members

Obits in the last several years have gone from informative and sypathethic to the ridiculous. Yours is a good example. While I am sorry and sympathetic and empathetic to whatever happened I would like to know the cause of death and whatever circumstances the family wishes to provide. Listing the survivors as well as antecedents is fine as well as listing the deceased's favorite charity,etc.

Other than that, what, when and where is all that is necessary but it should be in a respectful and correct informational product.

Slightly different but associated topic: Obits have become very expensive as has all "advertising" in newspapers. I won't even go into the costs of funerals and it does not matter if one is buried, cremated or shot into outer space; all are expensive. :(

Best regards,

RA1

Guest zipperzone

I've noticed of late that many obits are more like a biography. Too long, too much info. One wonders if they are really read.

Having written such a one two days ago, I find it a little surprising it even needs saying they are read by family and friends who of course know all of it or just about, but find it a balm. As we do other aspects of the final leave-taking.

Of course there are multiple and overlapping industries that prey shamelessly on the felt needs of us the surviving, but that is a little bit different point.