Guest EXPAT

No really, this car parks itself . . .

• Members

I was just ranting against irrational fear retarding progress in another thread Expat... embrace the future!

Driving is the most dangerous thing any of us does every day, and having cars able to at the least autonomously prevent accidents is something I'm thrilled to see, and am eager to see that spread into more models.

And advancements like these, beyond accident avoidance... I can't wait. And I love to drive.

Unfortunately there'll be one or two fuckups, somebody will be injured, and the press will go fucking nuts about it, completely ignoring the dozen driving deaths in their own media market *that day alone* that the technology would've prevented... grr...

• Members

Indeed this is scary. Not only does the "automatic" system "drive" the car like a little old lady but it seemingly abuses such as the tires by turning the wheel when the car is stationary. Basically only possible with power steering and very hard on the tires.

What exactly is the advantage of having the car drive off to a parking spot on its' own and what is the cost for that technology?

I suppose one of the broader questions is who should drive and under what circumstances? Most of us look upon driving as a right when it is a privilege. I am not trying to remove this privilege from anyone, only upgrading our ability to use it.

If we removed those from the roadway that had many tickets or other infractions obtained from driving their cars, the roads would be fairly free of traffic for those among us who are careful and without legal restrictions.

Of course, this would reduce the amount of fuel burned and eventually reduce the price thereof. How bad would that be?

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

I think it is very cool to see technology used in new ways like this. Wasn't there a big thing about certain cars being able to parallel park themselves a couple years ago? Not sure that caught on as I don't hear much about it. Maybe with time all these things will be standard features.

• Members

I think it is very cool to see technology used in new ways like this. Wasn't there a big thing about certain cars being able to parallel park themselves a couple years ago? Not sure that caught on as I don't hear much about it. Maybe with time all these things will be standard features.

Actually the self parallel parking still exists and is getting fairly common, to the point it's not made that big a deal of anymore. Some lower end cars are starting to get it, all Prius may have it now. Problem is, in America outside of cities a lot of people never have to, so they don't want the extra expense. Great for city cars... though they're not hard to park anyway...