Lucky

Truth A Casualty In Oscar Movies

• Members

One reason that I don't want Argo to win an award for Best Picture is that the ending is completely false. It just didn't happen. Given Argo's documentary style, I think it misleads the public. Zero Dark Thirty may have lost a chance at Best Picture due to the controversy over whether it is truthful on the torture needed to find Bin Laden.

The NY Times today takes a lengthy look at this subject, also pointing out falsehoods in Lincoln and Django, which is almost all false history. Poor Silver Linings Playbook had no truth to live up to, just audience expectations. Many liked it more than I did. And don't get me started on DeNiro deserving an Oscar because it has been 32 years since his last one. He doesn't deserve an Oscar for his role in Playbook. No one does.

Take a look at the Times article, which also raises the question as to what movies owe us when it comes to truth. Should we not be smart enough on her own to ferret out falsehoods? How many people know what really happened with the Americans smuggles out of Iran through the Canadians? Not many is my bet.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/23/movies/awardsseason/the-history-in-lincoln-argo-and-zero-dark-thirty.html?ref=arts

Since I don't have cable or satellite, I am relying on EXPAT to post the Oscars here in real time. He'll tell the truth!

• Members

I too hated the false, added drama at the end of Argo. And so stupidly done... let's see, I'd clearly have the authority to call the tower and ground the plane, but instead I'm going to grab my AK and jump in a truck and drive behind a 747 *at takeoff thrust*...

But so many cute Hollywood references, it may be a lock.

According to the odds makers, ARGO has a 94.3% chance of winning Best Picture. So I suspect that will get it. I enjoyed the picture a lot. I view all of these as fiction. But I do fear that the Fox News Audience believes everything they see.

Guest hitoallusa

Well I don't watch movies for accurate historical facts... The only movie I have seen in the best picture list is Lincoln. I liked it but I have never met Lincoln so don't really know whether Daniel Day Lewis played Lincoln well..^_^ Just think he acted well in the movie..

• Members

Or everything they hear. But Americans are notoriously ignorant when it comes to history, so I say Hollywood has an obligation to get it right. I know, I am outvoted.

I don't consider Argo to be that inaccurate; the opening, where they covered the root cause, in-depth, was fantastic. It's just that the drama was punched up several times, as is typical, and that it was poorly done... (I'm sure it was tack-on notes from some idiot executive--sorry, redundant--after some mouth-breather woke up at the end of a test screening and was as confused...).

Very different from Zero Dark Thirty where people are led to believe that torture was a key part of finding and killing OBL...

Guest hitoallusa

Well a movie has to be fun and entertaining so I don't mind whether it's accurate or not. If I want to learn history then I will read a history book. Even a movie depicted Lincon as an alien for fun, I wouldn't mind it.

The NY Times article mentioned above provides readers with a ice breaker. We love to be entertain and entertained.. And the film industry want people to watch more films and give them more attention. Frankly, the Oscars is a show put together to promote films. Is there a really objective set of criteria to select the best movies and actors?. Yet they want people to believe it is so..To me they are all acting and pretending to promote, celebrate and stimulate the film industry. So whether who wins an Oscar, I hope we can just entertain ourselves.

I hate when movies use these gimmicks instead of good writing and real drama. Sometimes I can switch the brain off when I watch a movie, but mostly these gimmicks stop my suspension of disbelief and I'm staring at the screen thinking, "Really?"

Creating false drama because you can't be bothered to write it/direct it in a way that generates real drama is lazy film making.

But Hollywood does love to pat itself on the back...