Lucky

What Happened to Bruno Mars?

• Members

Bruno Mars had a successful first album. I liked it enough to buy it, but waited for the second one until I got some feedback on it. There wasn't much talk of it that I heard, so I bought it. Yikes is it awful! There's not a single song on it which I would listen to a second time.

It seems to point out how valuable the guys behind the scenes are. They take a guy with a good voice and make it look like he has a great voice. They apparently were busy when Bruno did the second album.

4tfqh.jpg?w=645&h=645

From Wikipedia:

Mars stated in an interview with Billboard: "This is me going
into the studio and recording and writing whatever I want. This album
represents my freedom. I've had big record label presidents look me in
the face and say, 'Your music sucks, you don't know who you are, your
music is all over the place, and we don't know how to market this stuff.
Pick a lane and come back to us.' That was disgusting to me, because
I'm not trying to be a circus act. I listen to a lot of music, and I
want to have the freedom and luxury to walk into a studio and say,
'Today I want to do a hip-hop, R&B, soul or rock record'.[3]
He further added, "We took some master chefs into the kitchen with no
master plan... It was either going to be a disaster, or we were going to
come out with something incredible."[4] During an interview with Rolling Stone
magazine, Mars commented "It turned into this soulful, experimental,
electronic, hard-to-explain thing... That's the reason behind the album
title". He wanted to create something unexpected with the follow up of
his debut album, Doo-Wops & Hooligans (2010).[2]

The album includes production from Mark Ronson, Jeff Bhasker, Emile Haynie, Diplo, as well as The Smeezingtons. Mars noted that the album will be more musically varied and that he refuses to "pick a lane".[3] Mars has also been in studio with Benny Blanco and Paul Epworth.
Regarding his production contributions, Blanco said: "I got a really
cool song with him. Me and Paul [Epworth] just got together and Bruno
wrote an amazing song on top of it. It kind of all came together."
Discussing the song, Blanco states, "It's like some throwback Nina Simone type shit, like 'Sinnerman.' " However, it's unknown if these songs will be featured on Mars second album.[5] Mars also worked with guests like jazz artist Esperanza Spalding, and electronic producer Diplo. Mars claims to have taken each producer "beyond their comfort zone".[2]
On the recording of the song "When I Was Your Man" Mars stated, "I'm
never singing another ballad again,' but that came from the gut – it's
the most honest, real thing I've ever sang... When there are no safe
bets, that's when I feel my blood move."[2]
Mars also claims that "Diplo has all the sounds in his computer to make
the club go wild" to which Diplo replied "In our generation, he's the
most talented guy I've worked with".[2]

• Members

For those that put stock in what the critics write, it has gotten about equal positive and mixed reviews (with no real negative ones): http://www.metacritic.com/music/unorthodox-jukebox/bruno-mars

It is kind of interesting to read the different reviews and see how some critics react so differently, It's like did they listen to the same album? Ultimately it all comes down to tastes and preferences.

I guess we can say that what really matters will be the sales of the album. Time will tell.

I did not see it but read somewhere that he gave a great performance at the Grammys ( think the reviewer called it "electrifying").

As for myself, I probably won't be able to give my own view of it as I am rather indifferent to him and don't really listen to his music as part of my usual music selection.

• Members

I think he will do well if not at least he achieved and produced music he likes.. It doesn't have to be a commercial

success every time...

Perhaps not every time but one has to realize that this is only his second album and a commercial failure would put a lot of pressure on him for a success in his next as two failures in a row at this point in his career could be a significant issue for his long term viability with record labels. There are many one hit wonders who couldn't capitalize on their initial success and have pretty much disappeared.

Not saying this (or wishing this) about Bruno's future as the outcome of the commercial success of this second album is unknown at this point. Anyway, hopefully he can to continue make music he likes and also be a commercial success.

Well the first single "Locked Out of Heaven" from this CD was a huge hit and was #1 for 7 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 and has been in the top ten for 17 weeks and still is in the top ten. The second single "When I Was Your Man" is currently moving up to #8 on the Billboard Hot 100. So from a single sales and radio perspective he has a huge hit on his hands.

• Members

Well, many of the songs from the first album I played over and over. My post above says that there is not a single song on this album which I want to hear again. His first album was the only one I bought all year, so that tells you something about my interest in pop music. I did buy an Adele album this year that I like. I got a David Archuleta one too, but again, not a single song I liked. So I am one for three in 2013.

Guest zipperzone

I got a David Archuleta one too, but again, not a single song I liked. So I am one for three in 2013.

It must have been his naked picture on the cover that made you buy it.