Guest hitoallusa

Moderate drinking is also harmful?

Guest hitoallusa
  • Members

I'm so fucking tired of these stories. The studies themselves are maybe marginally useful but then some mouthbreather with an IQ in the mid-80 (at best) sounds out some of the words and makes it into a headline (Will You Survive, Will Your Family Survive... WHAT YOU MUST READ Before Your Next Drink|Egg|Coffee|ETC|ETC...) even though it contradicts the headline they published yesterday from a different study--both of which had very mild, non-definitive "conclusions", I'm sure.

The one thing I *am* sure of:

RESEARCH has been proven to cause cancer in rats.

Otherwise, everything in moderation but there's lot of evidence that things like red wine (and coffee) are actually good for you, as long as they don't have harmful additives.

• Members

I have always thought it strange that a human being would have to eat 400 pounds of sugar substitute per day to be the same as what they were feeding the rats. It seems they continue to raise the quantity of whatever they are testing until the rat succumbs to it. I am sure enough water would do the same. In fact, last night I heard someone claim that they used the scientific method to determine that microwaving was unsafe. They took one cup of water and brought it to a boil in a microwave oven, let it cool and then watered some plants with this water. Their "control" was to boil a cup of water on an electric stove, let it cool and then water some plants with it. Conclusion: Within a week all the microwave water plants had turned black and died; therefore microwaving food is dangerous to humans. I suppose their reference point or calendar must be slightly off. I have been microwaving food for 50 years without known bad result (other than to my waist) and so has virtually every US family.

Whatever "they" claim to be bad for you now, just wait a while and it will be shown to be good for you or at least not harmful. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

I have always thought it strange that a human being would have to eat 400 pounds of sugar substitute per day to be the same as what they were feeding the rats. It seems they continue to raise the quantity of whatever they are testing until the rat succumbs to it. I am sure enough water would do the same.

Years ago the local paper ran an editorial cartoon showing some poor rat with its snout tied around the spout of this huge tank of something or other, the rat swollen to the size of a watermelon (and hilariously bug-eyed), with a lab-coated scientist commanding, "More! More!"

The article cited in the OP equivocates all over the place about whether the harm -- actually the likelihood of harm -- from moderate drinking is worth worrying about. As JKane notes is typical of such pieces.

• Members

I did not know this:

When you drink vodka over ice, it can give you kidney failure.

When you drink rum over ice, it can give you liver failure.

When you drink whiskey over ice, it can give you heart problems.

When you drink gin over ice, it can give you brain problems.

Apparently, ice is really bad for you.

Warn all your friends

Guest NCBored

Years ago the local paper ran an editorial cartoon showing some poor rat with its snout tied around the spout of this huge tank of something or other, the rat swollen to the size of a watermelon (and hilariously bug-eyed), with a lab-coated scientist commanding, "More! More!"

I remember that cartoon - I had it pinned to my bulletin board at work for years, until it disintegrated.