TotallyOz

How much money do you spend each day in Brazil?

I am curious, beyond hotels, how much money do you budget for your trips to Brazil? Do you stick to a specific amount?

Also, if I am there for a long period of time, I'll have to do laundry. Where is the best place to do this other than the hotels? I'll be there 30 days and don't want to spend a fortune on clean clothes but I do like my undies nice. ;)

Guest lurkerspeaks

There are many laundry shops in and around the copa and Ipa areas.. Some of them have self-serve machines, others have relatively inexpensive laundry service where you drop off your dirties, then come back a day or so later to pick up clean clothes.

Spending money can vary greatly, depending on your tastes and your appetites in several areas.. As far as food goes, you can eat cheaply at the many sucos (juice stands) for around $5-10 USD per meal. There are many "por kilos" where you can get a nice dinner for less than $20 USD. Of course, if you want to splurge, there is Porcao, which is a very nice Churrascherria which will set you back around $50 USD without alcohol. Sunday Brunch at the Copacabana Palace Hotel runs something like $150 USD.

At the saunas, entrance fees are roughly $15-18 USD.. depending on the sauna, one session in a cabine is roughly the same amount. Add to that cost any food or beverages you might consume, plus the fee for the boy (figure another $40-50 per boy). If you do multiple boys in a given sauna visit, it means multiple cabine fees, unless you do it Tomcal-style with trio, fourways, etc.

If you want to bring a boy home for an overnight, it won't set you back too much, probably around $75 or so.(USD)

Other things to figure in is transportation--do you use the subway, or taxis?

What about sight seeing, etc?

Personally, I do not put a specific number down as a daily budget, but do have an idea of how much I plan to spend for the week. For one week, I generally have one "splurge" day for a nice restaurant meal, and otherwise keep it to the more moderate or inexpensive options. If I go a little overboard on one day with my spending, then I just cut it back on the next day or so to get things back in line to my original plans. Of course, if money was no object, then disregard this last section.

Guest parisrio2000

It's possible to spend only about R$50 (about $25) a day if you budget, and still live OK, but you're not coming to Brazil to budget. You're going to take a lot of taxis, eat out at nicer places, you'll want to see things. Rio is more expensive than Tokyo or New York now. Get ready to spend a lot of money if you're staying a month here.

I have some suggestions on how to find apt. or on restaurants if you want; some good places to eat in Brazil, a lot of crappy and overpriced ones.