TotallyOz

Sermon on Homosexuality

OK. A very odd question and many may not want to answer but a friend of mine from my childhood days is a preacher. He is also a friend and we have had many communications about being gay. He is always supportive of me but now he wants to bring this to his church and preach about Homosexuality in a more positive light. He feels this may get him fired but he is going to do this anyway. It is a very conservative Baptist Church in the South.

He asked me for my thoughts and I'd appreciate anyone chiming in. He asked:

I plan to implement some thoughts on the homosexual community and how the church views and treats them as opposed to how we should treat them. I would like you to write me back all of your thoughts on homosexuality and the church.

The biggest problem with this kind of discussion is that the clergy and the very faithful refuse to believe that the Bible was actually written by men who "say they were inspired" but the fact is it was written to try to control a society with a set of rules that men wrote. If that was truly understood by everyone including the clergy and the very-faithful, then they would understand that the same prejudices that plague our culture today were there thousands of years ago and maybe they would view these things in a different light. But that is a discussion that is nearly impossible to have with these people.

But it is the main reason why I will no longer participate in anything religious because their views are all based on the wrong premise. Yet they say it is all FAITH. But frankly that is an easy out for not facing the truth about the stories that were there only to control a society and to inspire.

I don't disagree with you. But, as one who almost became a minister (LOL) I still have a great many friends in religion jobs. Some are trying to enact changes within their churches. When asked, I still help them. This friend who asked me today has been a friend for over 30 years. A long long time ago.

Guest hitoallusa

Oz it's interesting.. I thought you were a bit different. ^_^ It is very courageous thing your friend is about to do in the South... I think he will have a very difficult time persuading some members of his congregation and might lose his job, although I am not so sure what exactly his stance on homosexuality is.. Does he still consider it a sin but accepting it? Anyways, I want the church to show love and compassion for gays and accept them as who they are. They are no different from others. I hope your friend can achieve that.

What EXPAT says is partly true, the Catholic Church and even the protestants have created false teachings and misled people. I, however, believe the teachings of Jesus stood the test of time and transformed the past, the present and the future. Maybe out of many complex consequences of transforming effects of Jesus' teachings I, Expat and others are here today. Furthermore, whether we want or not we consciously and unconsciously practice Christian values everyday, IMHO. Lastly, I want the gay community to be more positive and tolerant to one another.