Guest hitoallusa

Oz The Great and Powerful

Guest lurkerspeaks

Just back from seeing, "Oz, the great and powerful". Let me preface this by saying that I have not read the L Frank Baum series.

I thought the movie was visually entertaining. It was a combination of Tim Burton-esque acid-trip visuals and paper cut out cartoons. I enjoyed the story of how the Wizard, Glinda and the Wicked Witch of the West all came to be. I felt that James Franco wasn't that good in his role of the Wizard. He just didn't portray enough of the slimy, con-man that the character called for. My overall accessment, good, but not great.

• Members

I felt the movie was visually stunning, but the actting by all the characters fell short. I justified Francos performance by the character he was supposed to be, and over the top, corny sleazeball. But after seeing him perform as the Oscars host a few years back, I just think cornball is his persona.. I found myself having more affection for the created characters of Monkey and China girl.

It was also a bit too long, but all in all the familiar story was once again enjoyable..

• Members

I used to have a huge crush in James Franco, since the first frame he is in in the first Spideman, for many years he was my #1 boy/man in the world (Ryan Phyllip being #2), love that scene in "Milk" (chapter 5 on the DVD) when he gets out of the pool naked. We don't see anything but the queen who is poolside does and his reaction is to raise his eyebrows, everything done in a very subtle way, great queer filmmaking. Sadly I don't think he is that hot anymore. Who deserves to take his place? Pettyfer? Liam?