RA1

New Coke ad racist?

• Members

Apparently Coke will introduce an ad during the Super Bowl that Arabs say is racist. If it is, it would have to be because of "political or social intent" according to me. Otherwise, many folks, groups and cultures are portrayed in various ways that may or may not be correct today. But does that make them racist?

Not everything is politically incorrect. Have we not gone a very long way down this road and is it not time to stop and consider what is going on? Isn't intent a very large part of US law?

I realize a TV ad is a public exhibition of someone's thinking but is it necessarily a true statement of anyone's intent? I realize I am harping on the concept of intent but I am sure anyone who reads this knows exactly what that means.

What does anyone else think"

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

What I think is that some folks at the ADC need to get a life, lol.

Either that or I'm gonna start a protest over Coke's send up of Priscilla. Why weren't real drag queens driving the bus?

Although I have to admit, it does seem suspicious that the Arab was the only contestant not allowed to recieve votes. Hmmm...so maybe it was racist. :logik:

• Members

The Arab League or whatever they call it in the US is upset over typecasting Arabs. Even though historically, and to some extent today, they were camel drivers, bedouins and wealthy do nothings, some US Arabs are getting upset about them possibly being protrayed that way in a Coke ad. Either they were or they weren't and because they were, why get upset?

Best regards,

RA1

Guest hitoallusa

If look at the history of Islam, actually there was a time when they were very much advanced and promoted science. Muhammed had tried to find answers to poverty and social injustices according to the tradition. Whether that is true or not since I had not been at that time but that he and his followers tried to address social problems via religion is something that needs to respected and honored. I think that they have something they can be proud of as a group. unfortunately, they are lagging behind these days because they got a lot of teachings of Muhammed wrong, IMHO...