TotallyOz

Boy Scouts close to ending ban on gay members, leaders

The Boy Scouts of America, one of the nations largest private youth organizations, is actively considering an end to its decades-long policy of banning gay scouts or scout leaders, according to scouting officials and outsiders familiar with internal discussions.

If adopted by the organizations board of directors, it would represent a profound change on an issue that has been highly controversial -- one that even went to the US Supreme Court. The new policy, now under discussion, would eliminate the ban from the national organizations rules, leaving local sponsoring organizations free to decide for themselves whether to admit gay scouts.

The chartered organizations that oversee and deliver scouting would accept membership and select leaders consistent with their organizations mission, principles or religious beliefs, according to Deron Smith, a spokesman for the Boy Scouts national organization.

ndividual sponsors and parents would be able to choose a local unit which best meets the needs of their families, Smith said.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/28/16739587-exclusive-boy-scouts-close-to-ending-ban-on-gay-members-leaders

I'll believe it when I see it. But today on The Michelangelo Signorile Show, he said that the main reason this is happening is that their money is drying up drastically fast. I guess money can talk. I'm glad that people made their opinion clear with their wallets.