TotallyOz

The Rickshaw Run: A Cross Country Ride in India in a Tuk Tuk

I love Tuk Tuk's and some people may even call it an obsession. :smile: But, with that love, comes the desire to do crazy shit. Has anyone ever done this race, known of others who did it?

A good friend of mine is already registered for 2013 and wants me to join him.

http://www.theadventurists.com/the-adventures/rickshaw-run

• Members

OK, first I read this:

4ec2d68a35e1e5000100001b.jpgWith a pounding heart of 145.45cc pushing 7hp of raw power to three tiny wheels, the humble auto-Rickshaw is a feat of non-engineerance.

Loud, uncomfortable, prone to breaking down a lot and completely useless at protecting you from the elements, rickshaws are undoubtedly the ultimate long distance, off-road machine. Despite being designed for short distances, on roads. Possibly the least suitable vehicle on the planet for covering the entire subcontinent in two weeks. Perfect. We've a fleet of rickshaws pimped and ready to splutter you into adventuring bliss.

Engine: 2 stroke, single cylinder, forced air cooled
Engine Size: 145.45cc
Power: 7 HP at 5000 rpm (equiv. 1 family dog)
Transmission: 4 forward, 1 reverse
Top Speed: 55kmph (We've seen faster, especially downhill)
Fuel Capacity: 8 ltr + 1.4 reserve
System Voltage: 12V , DC

and then I read this:

These are genuinely dangerous things to do. The website is written in a light-hearted fashion but you cannot overestimate the risks involved in taking part in this adventure.

Your chances of being seriously injured or dying as a result of taking part are high. Individuals who have taken part in past Adventurists' adventures have been permanently disfigured, seriously disabled and even lost their life.

This is not a glorified holiday, it's an unsupported adventure and so by its very nature extremely risky. You really are on your own and you really are putting both your health and life at risk. This is what makes them adventures.

And somehow I didn't need to investigate further to know this was no trip for a 65 year old American couch potato.

• Members

OZ, just my personal opinion, but unless your obsession level with Tuk Tuks has reached the Glutes++ level, you should give this one a pass. Wouldn't you rather spend the estimated cost of 3,600 pounds (not including airfare) on the college education funds of numerous cute guys around the world?

On the other hand, if your heart is truly set on this, please take the necessary legal precautions to ensure a swift, clean transfer of ownership of boytoy.com to TY's control, along with a sufficient endowment to cover transitional expenses. No one wants another HooBoy situation to deal with while we're in mourning for your premature passing.

Oh, and do you think the family will appreciate flowers at the funeral?

We / I hosted a business conference for our customers in Thailand one time and we hired a bunch of luxury tuk tuk's. It was hilarious. Too bad there weren't iPhones back then I would have posted them. Hard to believe, but there wasn't even Facebook when I had that conference at least it wasn't widespread yet. (This was in 2004.)

• Members

Totally Oz is without a doubt one of the most adventurous posters here, but we owe it to ourselves if not to him to save him from something so dangerous. Maybe we should take donations to get that guy Zander from the Phillipines over to stop Oz from any risky activity. Assuming that Zander himself is not dangerous!

This is just something I am considering as a precursor to my real Tuk Tuk trip. That is to drive one from Thailand around the entire world and break the Guinness Book of World Record for the longest trip on a Tuk Tuk. LOL Yes, yes, I know that sounds insane. Berserk. Looney. But, it is a dream. :smile:

The Rickshaw Run may just tell me if I am able to handle the long trip. The Thai BF, who will do the ride with me, tells me he doesn't think I'll be able to sit in one for hours and hours day in and day out. But, time will tell. :smile:

As for Lucky's offer: thank you. I'll accept Zander in my bed. But, does that require a contract stating I won't go on a nutty adventure?

MSGuy, you should have read the paperwork for this thing. The contract basically states that you know that death may result and that you waive all your rights. I have never seen a contract so blunt and brutal.

• Members

"As for Lucky's offer: thank you. I'll accept Zander in my bed. But, does
that require a contract stating I won't go on a nutty adventure?"

YES!

I do like the last rule, though:
The don't come if you are a wimp rule

Sometimes people get the wrong idea and find themselves with slightly
browned pants and a furious rage on when they discover the Rickshaw Run
is not a Thompson beach holiday. This is boring for us to deal with, so
do think about the reality of putting your life in danger and being
smelly and uncomfortable for two weeks. Bliss for some, less so for
others.

Guest CharliePS

I have ridden cross country in India several times in a Hindustan Ambassador, my heart in my throat much of the time as we weaved among overloaded buses, overloaded trucks, overloaded motorbikes, donkey carts, cows, dogs, monkeys, pedestrians, and other kinds of travellers. The quality of the roads themselves was appalling. I would have to be bound and gagged to get me into a tuk-tuk for such a trip.

I have ridden cross country in India several times in a Hindustan Ambassador, my heart in my throat much of the time as we weaved among overloaded buses, overloaded trucks, overloaded motorbikes, donkey carts, cows, dogs, monkeys, pedestrians, and other kinds of travellers. The quality of the roads themselves was appalling. I would have to be bound and gagged to get me into a tuk-tuk for such a trip.

I was just in India for one month a few months back and I agree with EVERY word!

The last sentence did get me a bit excited. :smile:

lol

You are right about the roads being dangerous. I was just talking to my family about an upcoming trip I have to make to India on business and I said I'll fly right into Pune where my team is located as opposed to flying into Mumbai and spending a few days. The reason is they always want to pick me up at the hotel and drive me to Pune. The ride is the scariest thing I have ever done in my life.

My Thai boyfriend spent a month with me there and he agreed that the driving is the worst thing he had ever seen and he races motorbikes in Thailand.

We also took a taxi from New Dehli to the Taj Mahal. Again, the road was a "highway" and freaking scary. Camels on the road. Horses. Cows. Monkeys. Cars. Tuk Tuks. Big buses. Insanity. Total and sheer insanity.

That doesn't deter me from wanting to do this ride of course but I agree with everything you said. :smile: