Lucky

Defining "Stunningly Handsome"

• Members

The author Ruth Rendell, writing under her pseudonym of Barbara Vine, is trying to describe how handsome a character she is introducing is:

"The first thing anyone would notice about James was how handsome he was (sic). Not like an actor, because actors aren't necessarily good-looking the way they once were...Clark Gable and Cary Grant and James Stewart and Gregory Peck, were all stunningly handsome and, when amalgamated looked like James."

That didn't help me at all in figuring out how handsome the character is. James Stewart stunningly handsome? I didn't think of any of the 4 as "stunningly" handsome. So, what is stunningly handsome?

And how do I amalgamate 4 men?

(The reason that I put "sic" after "was" is because if he is dead it might be hard to describe him as handsome, and she shouldn't be tipping us off that the character dies...if he does, I haven't read that far!)

Guest NCBored

The author Ruth Rendell, writing under her pseudonym of Barbara Vine, is trying to describe how handsome a character she is introducing is:

"The first thing anyone would notice about James was how handsome he was (sic). Not like an actor, because actors aren't necessarily good-looking the way they once were...Clark Gable and Cary Grant and James Stewart and Gregory Peck, were all stunningly handsome and, when amalgamated looked like James."

That didn't help me at all in figuring out how handsome the character is. James Stewart stunningly handsome? I didn't think of any of the 4 as "stunningly" handsome. So, what is stunningly handsome?

And how do I amalgamate 4 men?

(The reason that I put "sic" after "was" is because if he is dead it might be hard to describe him as handsome, and she shouldn't be tipping us off that the character dies...if he does, I haven't read that far!)

I was puzzled by your sic - thanks for the explanation. But if she is speakiing of a particular time in the past - might he not have lost those looks in the future as he aged? I confess, the sentence sounds natural to me.

But as for the amalgamation bit - that seems particularly overwrought; it seems more reasonable that he might look like an amalgamation of the 4 than vice versa.

I can see why the novel isn't holding your attention!

Guest hitoallusa

Anyone who resembles my Rhett (Clark Gable) is extremely hot and stunningly handsome... He stole my heart in Gone with the Wind... Our AS looks a bit like Clark Gable though...