TotallyOz

Sheraton Hotel in Rio De Janeiro

• Members

Is this the same Sheraton at the end of the beach and hard up against the 'favela' of Vidigal? If so, I would check that the drug-gangs have been cleared out of Vidigal. About 18 months ago, there were repeated shootings that came close to the hotel.

Msclelovr is Right!! It is a nice hotel! I think it is a poor choice for two reasonsl My very first trip to Rio in October of 2001, we picked the Sheraton as we knew nothing about Rio/Copacabana/Ipanema and the photos showed a nice hotel with all the ammenities. BUT it is at the very far end of the beach area past Leblon/Ipanema, you are rather isolated there and literally your hotel room windows look across the road at the Favela on the hills surrounding it! We paid for a week and stayed one night and move to the Sol Ipanema hotel along the stretch of Ipanema close to the gay beach. The Hotel is very safe as long as you stay within the hotel compound/beach, but it a fairly long downhill walk to get to the stretch of beach where leblon meets Ipanema. It's a cab ride to everywhere. If they want a American Hotel, the Marriott is a better choice as it is centered in the middle of Copacabana Beach. I can honestly say that even If I was given the room for points or free I wouldn't stay there.

In the photo the Sheraton is at the yellow marker in the far bottom left of the picture and I would estimate about 2 miles from the center of Ipanema/farme de amoedo beach which is marked in the far right of the photo

Guest lurkerspeaks

another thing to consider about the Sheraton, (unless things have changed in the past 8 months) is that the last stop on the subway is at the beginning of Ipanema, so about 3 miles or so from the Sheraton..so subway is not an easy transportation option from there.