Lucky

How Safe Is Dog Food?

• Members

This is a thread for animal lovers, so if that does not describe you, my apologies. You can move on!

Almost any dog food one buys these days has the three magic words that put fear into the heart of the owner: "Made In China." Take a look at your treats and tell me which ones are made in the USA.

Why does that worry me, along with oh, say, fifty million other dog owners? Because Chinese food cannot be trusted! Just last week the NY Times had an article about a run on baby food in Australia. What's that got to do with this? Well, the run was due to Chinese tourists buying baby food in bulk to take home. They don't trust baby food made in China.

So if the Chinese skimp on quality with baby food, just think what they do with dog food! Sure, dogs are not dying across the country, but what is the long term effect of eating potentially unsafe food, and what are the chances of bad food causing an epidemic of problems in the current market?

The Times article says: "A number of recent high-profile scandals involving tainted food products in China have shaken public confidence in the safety of domestic supplies." The article goes on to discuss milk producers selling contaminated milk powder and another huge recall of milk.

Even Chinese producers are leaving China. They are building plants overseas to ensure better quality control.

Last September the website philly.com reported that Chinese made dog treats had killed hundreds of dogs and sickened thousands of other animals. Dog magazines warn readers constantly of problems with Chinese made dog food. I am unable to link or cut and paste from these sites as the boytoy software seems to be blocking links. Even the box to add a link is not working at the moment,. Are the Chinese running the software? I doubt it, but hey, why else can I not link anything for this post?

What's the solution? Consumer pressure, as always. But usually that follows some really unpleasant event that captures the attention of the public. Perhaps this hard-hitting boytoy investigation will light the fire...or would if it had any links!

• Members

I thought I would try again on the links, and it worked!

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pets/China-made-treats-kill-hundreds-of-dogs-sicken-thousands.html

From dogsnaturallymagazine.com: Hundreds of consumer complaints are aimed at dog food manufactures so far in 2012 and dozens – perhaps hundreds – of dogs are dead. Does this sound like deja vu? Could there be another massive recall like there was five years ago? The answer is, it is likely happening now.

SAY "NO" To Pet Treats Made In China!!! pdf_button.png printButton.png emailButton.png

made_in_china1.jpg

Once again, an increasing number of complaints about sick dogs have been connected to chicken jerky imported from China, prompting the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to issue its third advisory since 2007.

The FDA previously warned about these products (also called chicken tenders, strips or treats) in 2007 and 2008. The 2007 warning was issued after nearly 100 dogs got sick.

According to the FDA, a urine test of canines sickened by eating the treats could indicate increased glucose (Fanconi syndrome), and blood tests could show indications of kidney failure. Some dogs have died, the FDA reports, but most seem to recover.

The most recent warning states that the “FDA is advising consumers who choose to feed their dogs chicken jerky products to watch their dogs closely for any or all of the following signs that may occur within hours to days of feeding the products:

Guest hitoallusa

Poor pets... But they also harm Americans with bad Chinese food too... In that case the effects are shown a couple of years later... I love China and its culture so they can start doing things right.. Whenever I talk to my Chinese friend about this they get extremely upset... And it's true not all Chinese products are like that...

My family is always animals lovers and they are very careful of what food they purchase for the dogs. This is just a conversation I had last week with one family member who was telling me the new brand of dog food she is buying and the cost. The good food ain't cheap but worth it for a dog lover.

• Members

Thanks for this thread and the important information. I am a new owner, first time, of a dog (only a few months now) so I am trying my best to do the right things and get only good things for my little girl.

You would hope that some of the American companies having their product made in China and imported into the US would have the same or better quality controls in place to assure there is not an issue. I was buying Milo Kitchen chicken jerky and that is by Del Monte. I lived/worked in China for many years in the 90s, running a manufacturing plant near Shanghai, and one of the most important priorities was to assure we had the same high standards in quality control in raw materials as well as final product.

I will be paying much closer attention to where her treats come from moving forward.

• Members

Thanks for this thread and the important information. I am a new owner, first time, of a dog (only a few months now) so I am trying my best to do the right things and get only good things for my little girl.

You would hope that some of the American companies having their product made in China and imported into the US would have the same or better quality controls in place to assure there is not an issue. I was buying Milo Kitchen chicken jerky and that is by Del Monte. I lived/worked in China for many years in the 90s, running a manufacturing plant near Shanghai, and one of the most important priorities was to assure we had the same high standards in quality control in raw materials as well as final product.

I will be paying much closer attention to where her treats come from moving forward.

Wayout, congratulations on your new family member. You have years of joy ahead of you.

Guest CharliePS

My dog got ill from a greenie made in China, so now I check where the treats are made. He particularly likes a brand called Old Mother Hubbard, which are made in USA, and are available at Petco.

• Members

My dog got ill from a greenie made in China, so now I check where the treats are made. He particularly likes a brand called Old Mother Hubbard, which are made in USA, and are available at Petco.

Thanks Charlie, I will definitely look for that brand. I was at the local pet store near me just before reading your post and I was checking out all kinds of different brands...I was amazed at how many are from China. I was surprised that one leading brand (Milkbone) didn't say on the box where it was from. I did write down the toll free number on the box and called. The automated answering system indicated that many people are calling to get info on where their product is made (which they indicated was made in the USA).