Guest lurkerspeaks

It could happen to you...

• Members

What a sad but truthful presentation. It is certainly emotionally moving.

The example shown in the film confirms that gays are the last group of individuals in American society where certain politicians and certain individuals can continue to practice rampant discrimination (and get away with it).

Hopefully, things will change soon. If more states vote in favor of gays marrying, eventually, the federal government will have to acquiesce and change the antiquated laws surrounding this issue.

Thanks for posting the film.

-

This might have been posted here before, but it deserves to be shared again..

• Members

So sad... The pictures showed such a close and happy couple. I truly hope it was an accident. With the shit Tom took from his family I hope it wasn't a suicide. Couples who can't be recognized with civil unions, must cover each other with legal agreements like a medical power of attorney and wills, etc. Such a young couple hadn't gotten that far yet.

Guest hitoallusa

Once again what is legal doesn't always mean it's ethical... What Tom's parents did eventually took their son away from them. Yet they fail to see that. Only if we can scientifically eliminate bias and prejudice from our society. It will be so much better and we will make more progress.

• Members

There are none so blind as those who do not want to see. The parents of the boy who died were typical of many bigoted individuals who let religion control their emotions rather than control what is right, compassionate or logical.

Science has proven that homosexuality is genetic. Yet, despite this fact, there remain countless people (like the parents depicted in the film) who erroneously believe it is a choice or "preference" made by "sinful" individuals.

Like I said in my initial post, the gays are the only remaining group where prejudice is still condoned in law and in religious settings. It will take time but eventually, if enough states vote for gay marriage, the prejudice might remain, but equality will be forced as a matter of law.

-

Only if we can scientifically eliminate bias and prejudice from our society. It will be so much better and we will make more progress.

Guest hitoallusa

Well I don't think scientists found a gay gene or anything at the molecular level.. If that is the case then the case is over.. It still remains a philosophical question whether one is born gay it not... No matter what scientific outcome it may be I hope bias and prejudice can be eliminated...

• Members

Hi hitoallusa

Although recent studies are still being conducted, you and others might want to take a look at this article concerning the "gay" gene. Nothing is concrete and definite, yet. However, logic and research, to date, strongly suggest that homosexuality is inherited.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/articles/10287/20120613/homosexuality-gene-mother-reproduction-evolution.htm

Well I don't think scientists found a gay gene or anything at the molecular level.. If that is the case then the case is over.. It still remains a philosophical question whether one is born gay it not... No matter what scientific outcome it may be I hope bias and prejudice can be eliminated...

Guest hitoallusa

Well the research article itself doesn't say anything about what these gay genes are. The article states that gay genes do not last long since gay men don't procreate. I find it wrong and biased since there are many gay men who are married and have kids. Just ask some of the members who are on the other site and ask them to participate in the study. I am not sure why the reviewers of paper didn't send them the paper back for revision so that they can look into the children of gay men.

It's not a good paper and the experiment is not well designed. These days research funding is tight and scientists politely allow less than average articles to be published.

I do hope that some gay genes should be find if a proper experiment design can be executed. Unfortunately when people are dying of HIV and other disorders it is very difficult to find funding for this kind of project. How about we start a fund raising for a gay gene serach initiative? And then have a world class lab conduct research on this topic? Who is with me?

• Members

Here is another article that does not say there is a "gay gene" but it does say that homosexuality, in theory, is passed down to the child from the parent. More research, with a larger subject pool, needs to take place to either confirm or disprove the suggested theory. Admittedly, the article is not from a highly recognized source.

Whatever anyone wants to call the theory, be it a gene or not a gene, homosexuality appears to be inherited, and not a choice or preference as so many politicians and religious and other misinformed people chirp.

Here is a more current article regarding the subject: http://www.salon.com/2012/12/11/study_there_is_no_gay_gene/

Note this small excerpt from the article:

"As a press release explains in almost comprehensible terms, the study finds “sex-specific epi-marks, which normally do not pass between generations and are thus ‘erased,’ can lead to homosexuality when they escape erasure and are transmitted from father to daughter or mother to son.”

There will be more research on this controversial subject. I personally believe that gays did not wake up one day and decide to be gay. Other than through heredity, what else could be the reason?

Well the research article itself doesn't say anything about what these gay genes are. The article states that gay genes do not last long since gay men don't procreate. I find it wrong and biased since there are many gay men who are married and have kids. Just ask some of the members who are on the other site and ask them to participate in the study. I am not sure why the reviewers of paper didn't send them the paper back for revision so that they can look into the children of gay men.

It's not a good paper and the experiment is not well designed. These days research funding is tight and scientists politely allow less than average articles to be published.

I do hope that some gay genes should be find if a proper experiment design can be executed. Unfortunately when people are dying of HIV and other disorders it is very difficult to find funding for this kind of project. How about we start a fund raising for a gay gene serach initiative? And then have a world class lab conduct research on this topic? Who is with me?

Guest hitoallusa

I agree with you, mvan1... I think it comes from inside. I think people can pretty much tell I'm gay so I think it comes from inside but don't know what it js. Getting research funding for this kind of project is hard and I don't think it is a topic a young graduate student and professor will take on. One way is to do it is find a lot of money and recruit top notch scientists. Is there any billionaire on here who can drop a couple of million dollars for this research? When you donate money make sure that it is for gay gene studies. ^_^

Guest NCBored

Decades ago, in an anthology of 'edgy' science-fiction, I read a story about the murder of a geneticist and the destruction of all his work. The narrator investigates the murder and ultimately discovers that the geneticist had discovered the gene for homosexuality and thne been murdered by gays. The reason: gays were afraid that once it was possible to test for sexuality pre-birth, most parents would opt NOT have a gay child.

It was a very thought-provoking story - especially for its day!