Guest EXPAT

Adam Lambert tweets his dislike for singing quality in Les Miserables

Les Miserables may be rolling in the dough and accolades, but Adam Lambert points out the screeching elephant in the room. People may criticize him for his comments, but he does know singing.

On Sunday, Dec. 30, Lambert posted his "Les Mis" rant on Twitter.

"Les Mis: Visually impressive w great Emotional performances. But the score suffered massively with great actors PRETENDING to be singers," he wrote. "...it's an opera. Hollywoods movie musicals treat the singing as the last priority. (Dreamgirls was good) Anne Hathaway as Fantine and Enjolras were the exceptions for me. Helena B Carter and Sasha B Cohen were great too."

post-105999-0-69512000-1357065907_thumb.

• Members

I think he is qualified to comment and offer his " opinion".... the comments were thoughtful and insightful. I see nothing wrong with what he said, although, its almost CERTAIN that people will take issue, label him "sour grapes" and jealous, and probably start a firestorm war against him. He might as well have posted it on a website and received the same sort of treatment.

We'll see......

Guest hitoallusa

Well you can have great singers in the movie but they might not able to act and they might not be so attractive. After all the movie needs to be sold..

Russell Crowe was definitely strained. I even thought Anne Hathaway was strained. But Hugh Jackman was amazing at all levels in my view. Just my view.

• Members

Well it was a story being told, and the characters were NOT singers, but merely trying to convey emotions and events in song. I think Adams comments although correct were a bit too literal..... Embrace the fantasy and the story and pretend they are speaking the words. Its all about Perception IMO.

A couple of days ago I mentioned that Adam Lambert tweeted that he wasn't impressed with the live singing in Les Miserables, and now Russell Crowe has responded.

post-105999-0-63363200-1357163673_thumb.

• Members
I'm not a music snob, but I think I agree with Adam. Musicals/Operas are about the music. The first thing that a performer has to do is nail the music. If they can't do that, then they shouldn't be in it.

I wouldnt condiser it a musical. To me, its a drama WITH music, which is only used for creative effect...

• Members

It's quite a film, and no doubt some will like it ore than others. I saw the musical on stage 3 times, yet it was only in seeing the movie that I understood the story from start to finish. I was very moved at the last 40 minutes, which I thought were beautifully done.

That mean ol' Inspector Javert. Couldn't he have just given Valjean a little time-out and let it go at that? Of course, then there wouldn't have been a book, musical, and movie!

• Members
That mean ol' Inspector Javert. Couldn't he have just given Valjean a little time-out and let it go at that? Of course, then there wouldn't have been a book, musical, and movie!

He wouldn't be creeping up on 5,000 posts either!

Perhaps we won't see a full-blown musical when you reach that imminent milestone, but dare we at least hope for a modest run of Lucky On Ice? :rolleyes:

5qwwcl.jpg

• Members

How could one not have fun with a cute guy like that? But, it's noted in the Asia forum that Ice runs hot and cold. I hope I am lucky the night I go.

Don't take my plan to meet Ice too seriously. Sometimes it is just fun to plan...