TotallyOz

Brazil is place with most homophobic murders

In yet another murder of a gay man in Brazil, groups have said that the country is the place where more people were murdered because of their homosexuality than any other place on earth. I do find this hard to believe but if others have other data please let me know.

In the article below, the 3 boys went out in a car and masturbated together. Then 2 of them killed the third.

http://www.pinknews....ophobic-murder/

Two teenagers have been arrested in connection with the murder of a 20-year-old student in Brazil, with one of the suspects declaring: “He wanted to kiss me and I wanted to kill him.”

Campo Grande News reports the two boys, both 15, were arrested on Tuesday and confessed to killing Lawrence Corrêa Biancão.

One of the boys met the victim two weeks prior to the murder when Biancão allegedly made a pass at him.

They talked and exchanged numbers.

Police say the teen spoke with a friend with whom he agreed to meet and kill Biancão, steal his car and escape.

The two teens went for a drive with Biancão on the morning of Sunday 9 December, during which they reportedly masturbated.

Before saying their goodbyes, the boy sitting behind Biancão strangled him with his seat belt.

• Members

That report is so odd since it is often reported that Brazilian men are the most "open" and versatile when it comes to man-on-man sex.

I think its a case of wrong place, wrong time, or perhaps pre-meditated murder since the victim "clearly" looks Gay IMO....

Guest lurkerspeaks

Not sure if this is true or not, but could it be that, much like the USA, the homophobic sentiment is stronger in the more rural areas of the country? Campo Grande, the location of the murder in the article, is a decent sized city (population of around 750K) but much smaller than Rio or Sao Paulo. I noticed on my last trip to Rio, that it appeared that homosexuality was becoming more open in that city. I actually saw some obviously gay men on the subway holding hands and exchanging the occasional non-sexual touch. And one of the sauna boys I met talked about how he had been gay and out, all of his life, but moved from Minais Gervais to Rio in order to lead a more "happy" lifestyle.

And then, there are of course, the many, many sauna boys who consider themselves straight, while engaging in sexual acts with gay men..On the other hand, one very "friendly" boy I met two years ago in the saunas, has now "discovered" his religion and denounces all of the sauna activities. He even (the nerve of him), de-friended me on facebook.

I've never been to Brazil (yet!), so can't really speak to it from personal experience, but according to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholicism_in_Brazil

~65% of Brazilians are Roman Catholic. Given the perverse and poisonous teaching of the Catholics about gays, it doesn't surprise me that there's this hate bouncing around.

I'd also note that as reported in this article:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=homophobes-might-be-hidden-homosexuals

that there is evidence homophobia is correlated with latent homosexual desire. So if you think homosexuals are evil or damned, and you're feeling it a bit yourself, it might wind you up into trying to externalize your struggle by attacking somebody else.

Armchair psychology, but that's my take.