TotallyOz

Mormon church wants more compassion for gays

Mormon leaders unveiled a new website Thursday encouraging church members to be more compassionate in discussions about homosexuality.

Church officials insist they haven't changed the Mormon teaching that marriage is only between a man and a woman and that same-sex relationships are sinful. However, the website includes an appeal to gay and lesbian Mormons to stay in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

"We must not judge anyone for the feelings they experience," church authorities wrote, saying homosexuality "should not be viewed as a disease or illness."

So, at least the Mormon Church is "more compassionate" for gays. Or, is it? To me saying gays are a disease or an illness is a bit insane. But, if this a move in the right direction?

IMHO, churches, all of them, including the Mormon Church is going to be loosing it parishioners if they continue to keep their stance on gays and lesbians. (along with many other nutty things). But, I guess it is supposed to be a closed society anyway right?

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/us/article/Mormon-church-wants-more-compassion-for-gays-4096810.php

• Members

This change in policy has been 3+ years in the making. A gay friend, who is also chair of the Democratic party in Utah, has been working with Mormon leaders for the past 3 years on making these changes.

The current president of the Mormon Church, Tom Monson, has been family friend for years. Personally, he's always treated me with respect and I don't consider him anti-gay. But, many of the 12 Apostles don't share his views on inclusion. Tom's in a very difficult position.

But, I do view this as a big step in the right direction.

I remember when my parents were told by one of the 12 Apostles to cut off communication and turn their backs on me because I was gay. IMHO, this is major change in stance for Mormons. I personally don't believe change will ever happen quickly with this organization. But, small changes like this signal they are starting to move in the right direction.

I hope you're right onefinger, but I'm dubious.

I think this just translates as "We love you faggot, not get in the back of the fucking bus and shut up."

Isn't this what all churches stances are? There are a few exceptions in larger cities but growing up in the deep South and a very conservative church, they still say they love me but hate my sin. ^_^ Aren't they all the same on this? (not every church but vast majority)

I think OneFinger hit it and Hi to us is right. It is a step in the right direction but as I have said for years, if the churches don't change and fast, they are going to loose all their young people. Can they not see this?

• Members

...if the churches don't change and fast, they are going to loose all their young people. Can they not see this?

Very interesting that you mention churches changing. I'm currently working in Oregon and Washington (just across the river) has legalized gay marriage.

I'm surprised at the number of churches that are performing / hosting same-sex weddings. I'm finding the attitudes here much more open towards gays. Inclusion and equality are truly community values here.

OnFinger, when I was in NYC, I found the same thing. I found so many churches that were open and accepting and I even went to 2 churches that were all gay. I do enjoy going to church although I can't say I am a believer. I guess I am just hedging my bets.

But, in cities and areas where there are enlightened people and pastors, there seems to be a logical path to church growth. Again, IMHO, church numbers are on the decline and that is inevitable. But, there are ways to change the direction if they embrace the 20th century.

I am glad that churches in your area are performing the marriages. I guess I just assumed (not a good thing) that most were married in court houses.