lookin

At last, some good news!

• Members

I know it's been easy finding things wrong with the government lately, but here's something the government's doing right! The Social Security Administration announced today that it's going to start processing disability claims in days, rather than years, for folks who have been diagnosed with cancer, early-onset Alzheimer's, and Lou Gerhig's disease. The Compassionate Allowances program is designed to get claims processed in 10 - 15 days, instead of a year or more.

Social Security Commissioner Michael Astrue said, "If somebody's got a confirmed diagnosis of ALS . . . there is no use burdening them with paperwork.

Good thing they didn't have to go to the Senate for approval!

This is good news.

On t'other hand, my momma is an expert hand at getting SSA and other gummint admins to do some small fraction of their appointed rounds.

She worked in NC state government for years, in the state revenue department (collecting NC's share of interstate trucking taxes, where among other things understanding how to wrong-foot the Feds' greedy idiocies was paramount).

Then my papa, a postal worker, kicked the bucket at age 41 of massive coronary in 1968. Mama proved herself Superwoman in the innumerable days (it stretched over two ensuing years) sitting in government offices, dragging out of them fulfillment of their miserly commitments in death policies and the like.

The foregoing is a hell of a diatribe. Just that my faith in the system's capability to enact and deliver on governmental commitments is weak if not, actually, nonexistent. If they aren't inscribed quite explicitly into the Constitution itself.

My grandfather's death at the hands of the VA in 1963 likewise.