Guest EXPAT

Star Trek: Into Darkness (coming 5-13)

Guest hitoallusa

Boy that looks awesome... Not sure why the instigator in the movie is so powerful and evil so that the protagonist looks like a great hero. The plot seems too simple to me..

• Members

It looks like the villain is being played by Benedict Cumberbatch of recent Sherlock Holmes fame. I really liked him in Sherlock and recently saw him in HBO's Parades End. I should be exciting to see him play such a meaty role.

• Members

How is Parade's end? I fucking LOVE me some Sherlock, but can't get interested in Parade's End from the trailers...

I agree this trailer looks amazing. It's interesting that the bad guy seems to be just a rouge agent... we'll see.

• Members

How is Parade's end? I fucking LOVE me some Sherlock, but can't get interested in Parade's End from the trailers...

I agree this trailer looks amazing. It's interesting that the bad guy seems to be just a rouge agent... we'll see.

I liked it enough to watch it all. Bit of a mixed bag. Tedious at times, but if you enjoyed Downton Abby you will probably enjoy this but not as much.

Guest EXPAT

For all of you Star Trek fans, Hulu is celebrating the upcoming release of "Into Darkness" by making available every single Star Trek episode from every Star Trek series for free through the end of April.

I'm watching one of my favorite Star Trek Voyager episodes, "Dark Frontier" right now. The Borg were always my favorite villain.

Guest EXPAT

Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!

Great movie. Saw it in IMAX today. I highly recommended it. My first bit of relaxation with my brother in over 6 weeks.

Guest lurkerspeaks

I too wanted to chime in on this movie. I will preface my comments with this: I am a watcher of the original series and Next Generation tv series. I have seen some, but not all of the original version movies. I am a fan, but not by any means, a Trekkie.

Now, on to my comments/review:

WOW

Great summer action/blockbuster movie. I saw it in IMAX 3D and thought it was great. The storyline was good. The acting was good. The special effects were outstanding. I went into it without knowing much about the storyline/plot. There were enough "inside jokes" for the fans to enjoy, but also enough explanation for the unfamiliar to enjoy the story without getting lost. Zachery Quinto did a great job as Spock. Chris Pines (with the amazing blue eyes) was the forever womanizing Capt Kirk. And for those who have to have a little twink eye candy, there is Anton Yelchin as Chekov.

MV5BMTQ3MjEzOTU4MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjMw

list-farm-team-hollywood-reporter-2010-c

anton-yelchin.jpg

Guest hitoallusa

I loved the Next Generation series... My favorite characters were Captain Picard Deana Troy, the counselor of the Enterpirse..^_^ I have always wondered why the captain was single... It didn't seem right for him to sleep alone at night..^_^ He needs some a wife.. I was envy of Deana's confidence and her beauty. Even aliens paid homage her prettiness.. ^_^ Since I don't have time to see this movie, I read the plot in Wikipedia... Very interesting..

Guest josephga

Never was a fan of this series. I liked the second film the wrath of Khan. Haven't seen the one that came b4 this one. I do think chris pine is hot. I remember years ago when his dad was on the series Chips

• Members

I too wanted to chime in on this movie. I will preface my comments with this: I am a watcher of the original series and Next Generation tv series. I have seen some, but not all of the original version movies. I am a fan, but not by any means, a Trekkie.

Now, on to my comments/review:

WOW

Great summer action/blockbuster movie. I saw it in IMAX 3D and thought it was great. The storyline was good. The acting was good. The special effects were outstanding. I went into it without knowing much about the storyline/plot. There were enough "inside jokes" for the fans to enjoy, but also enough explanation for the unfamiliar to enjoy the story without getting lost. Zachery Quinto did a great job as Spock. Chris Pines (with the amazing blue eyes) was the forever womanizing Capt Kirk. And for those who have to have a little twink eye candy, there is Anton Yelchin as Chekov.

MV5BMTQ3MjEzOTU4MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjMw

list-farm-team-hollywood-reporter-2010-c

anton-yelchin.jpg

Because you are not a Trekkie I wonder what you would have said had you really, really liked this movie or were a Trekkie?. ^_^

I was a big fan of the original TV series, a mild fan of some of the early movies, did not watch or much enjoy the succeeding TV series and have only seen one movie since. I may go to this one if it doesn't go away before I get around to it.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

I was a big fan of the original TV series, a mild fan of some of the early movies, did not watch or much enjoy the succeeding TV series and have only seen one movie since. I may go to this one if it doesn't go away before I get around to it.

Pretty much sums up my feelings as well. I'll definitely see this new one, most likely when it comes on demand TV. I was a big fan of the Next Generation when it came out but for some reason I don't enjoy the re-runs. Perhaps it was just the thrill of Star Trek being back on TV at the time. The original still holds up for the most part for me when I watch those re-runs.

• Members

Pretty much sums up my feelings as well. I'll definitely see this new one, most likely when it comes on demand TV. I was a big fan of the Next Generation when it came out but for some reason I don't enjoy the re-runs. Perhaps it was just the thrill of Star Trek being back on TV at the time. The original still holds up for the most part for me when I watch those re-runs.

We have to get together for a drink. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

P.S. Terminology...

Trekkie vs. Trekker

Trekkie is "frequently depreciative",%5B44%5D thus, "not an acceptable term to serious fans",%5B45%5D who prefer Trekker. The distinction existed as early as May 1970, when the editor of fanzine Deck 6 wrote:

...when I start acting like a bubble-headed trekkie (rather than a sober, dignified—albeit enthusiastic—trekker).%5B2%5D:4%5B46%5D

By 1976, media reports on Star Trek conventions acknowledged the two types of fans:%5B47%5D

One Trekkie came by and felt compelled to explain, while paying for his Mr. Spock computer image, that he was actually a Trekker (a rational fan). Whereas, he said, a Trekkie worships anything connected with Star Trek and would sell his or her mother for a pair of Spock ears.%5B28%5D

In the 1991 TV show Star Trek: 25th Anniversary Special, Leonard Nimoy attempted to settle the issue by stating that the term 'Trekker' is the preferred term; during an appearance on Saturday Night Live to promote the 2009 Star Trek film, Nimoy—seeking to assure Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto, the "new" Kirk and Spock, that most fans would embrace them—initially referred to "Trekkies" before correcting himself and saying "Trekkers", emphasizing the second syllable.%5B48%5D In the documentary Trekkies, Kate Mulgrew stated that Trekkers are the ones "walking with us" while the Trekkies are the ones content to simply sit and watch Star Trek. According to Stewart, the actors dislike being called Trekkies and are careful to distinguish between themselves and the Trekkie audience.%5B49%5D

The issue is also shown in the film Trekkies 2, in which a Star Trek fan recounts a supposed incident during a Star Trek convention where Gene Roddenberry used the term "trekkies" to describe fans of the show, only to be corrected by a fan that stood up and yelled "Trekkers!" Gene Roddenberry allegedly responded with "No, it's 'Trekkies.' I should know — I invented the thing."

Other fans[who?] have recounted a tale that the term "Trekkies" was the original term that was adopted with the first Star Trek convention in 1972. However, by the second convention so many people had "jumped on the bandwagon" that the fans present at the second convention adopted the term "Trekkers" in order to distinguish themselves as the true fans, versus the fad fans who continued to use the term "Trekkies"[citation needed].

Another theory on the Trekkie vs. Trekker is that the term "Trekkie" is reserved for fans of the original Star Trek cast only (show and movies), whereas "Trekker" is a fan of all Star Trek fandom[citation needed].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trekkie#Trekkie_vs._Trekker

• Members

I am perfectly willing to let Majel Barrett. nurse Chapel and wife of Gene Roddenbury, be the determiner of whatever. I have heard an interview with her recently but I am afraid that she has passed on recently.

Therefore, I think that AS and wayout and I should meet at a likely venue and raise our glasses to her and all the others we have enjoyed on these various programs/movies. ^_^ Anyone else so inclined is also welcomed. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1