Lucky

Tipping in the Service Industry

• Members

My window cleaners arrived. Last time I had them done , it was two gay guys. They quoted me $90 which I raised to $100 since I thought that they under-priced. I added a $20 tip at the end.

This time I chose a professional window cleaning company. The two gay guys are out of the business. I got a quote of $180, obviously higher, but the neighbors windows sparkle. She had a nice plump happy girl do hers.

So I get two young guys, and they are friendly enough, but give the impression that this may be a career opportunity for them. My intuition tells me that a tip will be expected despite the higher cost.

I guess this is just life today. The other day the phone guy at Costco spent some time fixing my new phone up even though it was a replacement phone. I broke the one he sold me. I had no trouble giving him a $20 bill for his help, so why does it annoy me to have to tip the window cleaners? (I know, I know- I don't have to.) I always thought that when it was a fixed price, that that was it.

But life works that way. These guys probably see only a portion of that $180, so in essence they are working as cheaply as the two gay guys did. No, neither is cute, so I don't have that excuse.

But first, let's see if the windows sparkle...

• Members

Well, they are done. It took them 100 minutes, times two guys, equal 200 minutes. Roughly sixty dollars an hour. Not bad for manual labor. And yes, I felt the need to tip. 15% seemed adequate give the high cost of the labor.

If they were illegal aliens, I have no idea and did not care. My gardener is Mexican as are the annual house cleaners. (The rest of the year we do it ourselves.) The house cleaners are cheaper as they charge roughly $20 per hour each. I will ask them if they do windows!

• Members

The service industry is not. I tried to call the NY Times customer service. I was told that my wait period would be 3 minutes. After 13 minutes they disconnected me.

Then I called Express Scripts to update my credit card. The machine got all of the information, but could not get the expiration date right. So, I followed the instructions on the bill and went to their website. First I had to register. I did all of that, and the response came back that I could not register. I had to go through United Health's website. So, I logged in there and was met with the response that an error code prevented me from transferring to the prescription site.

Then I called AMEX to cancel a credit card. The card offered a companion certificate, but flights are never available, or require you to fly for hours to cities you don't want to visit. I went through their totally annoying phone menu, finally was able to ask for a representative. There I was told that my wait period would be 4 minutes, but they disconnected me after 2. I kid you not. All of this happened today. At this point, I am just exhausted!

exhausted-3.jpg

Guest Hoover42

I sympathize, Lucky! It's a rare pleasant surprise that I see genuinely good customer these days; Seems like it's easier for the companies to apologize later when cornered than to do what's right up front.

• Members

I bought an Apple TV box yesterday. I didn't have to call customer service because everything worked as advertised the first time around! I budgeted a whole afternoon for trouble shooting but it only to a few minutes to set things up. I don't know if I can stand the strain :sweat:

Guest hitoallusa

And you don't have to deal with nosy neighbors' young kids knocking on the door saying that you need to clean your window better... ^_^. I hate when my neighbors' being nosy and minding other people's businesses..

You haven't seen the windows after I wash them!

• Members

Back to tipping...this thread prompted me to consider if I reward enough for good service. I have my laundry picked up and dropped off. Most often I don't see the driver. But when I do he's friendly and makes suggestions to improve the service he provides me. He made sure I have his direct line. I travel frequently and often seem to have laundry about to be delivered before I leave on a trip. So just in time delivery is important to me. I'll add him to my tip list this year.

Guest hitoallusa

Wow why I don't get this kind of service???

Back to tipping...this thread prompted me to consider if I reward enough for good service. I have my laundry picked up and dropped off. Most often I don't see the driver. But when I do he's friendly and makes suggestions to improve the service he provides me. He made sure I have his direct line. I travel frequently and often seem to have laundry about to be delivered before I leave on a trip. So just in time delivery is important to me. I'll add him to my tip list this year.

Try washing your own windows next time, and then you wont have anything to complain about

That is like telling me to wash my own clothes. I can do it but it is NEVER the same as when a pro does it. My blue socks and pink shirts (neither started that way) can attest to this.

I think some things are best left to the pros and for me it is laundry. I suck at it.

Luckily, I have a great group of window washer in Thailand so I get that done 2 times per week with my cleaning service. ^_^