AdamSmith

Rational Rove?!

Is Karl finally fed up with fighting the unwinnable war?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/11/30/karl-rove-american-crossroads_n_2218080.html?icid=hp_politics_art_nxt

Much of what he says here is double talk, to be sure. But then he would know better than anyone else that this is the only way to get up his own party's backside and begin to fix some of the many things that ail them.

Exactly why it is so remarkable.

Granted his remarks are 98.7% snake oil. But if that is his calculus of what it takes to slip them down his own party's craw, then...sumpn new may be a-glomming. Nein?!

(Many relevant out-takes from Speer's Inside the Third Reich here omitted.)

He must have something up his sleeve. This man is not trustworthy at all.

Absolutely he is not. But as Nixon and many others have observed, state policy and relations pretend to be trust-based but are in fact based on coldly calculated balances of competing interests. The art of the possible, as no less than James Baker III a bit shockingly publicly reminded Condi after a long stretch of her running around the globe but seeming never quite able to close the deal anywhere. Which criticism of course he was also aiming at W., for setting inflexible thus unsellable policy.

He went on to reminisce to the effect (going from memory) that "Reagan would always send me off with, 'Try to see if you can get 80 percent of what we want. There's no point in going over the cliff with all flags flying.'" A colorfully apt description of Condi's largely fruitless efforts (thankfully!) to sell W.'s and his neocons' ideas.

sheldon-adelson-pimp.jpg

Harking to Karl Rove,

Sheldon Adelson

agrees to extend an

olive branch to the

Log Cabin Republicans.

ROFL! "Extend an olive branch..."

Forgive me taking three days to get your euphemism. Neither the gray nor any other matter is quite what it used to be.

• Members

ROFL! "Extend an olive branch..."

Forgive me taking three days to get your euphemism.

AdamSmith, you regularly find little trinkets in my posts that I never recall putting in there. Too bad Samuel Johnson didn't meet you instead of that hack Boswell. :rolleyes:

v0_master.jpg

Samuel Johnson reflects on his

luncheon with AdamSmith and

wonders if he might persuade

him to craft a little memoir.