TotallyOz

Cost of Living in Brazil, Thailand, Europe and etc

I have said for many years that my next long term place to call home is going to be either Brazil or somewhere in Europe. I love Thailand but I do feel that I will make a change in 2013. I hope that some of you here will help me.

I have wanted to move to Brazil for a long time. The biggest difference between Brazil and Thailand is the ease at which a foreigner can move and live comfortably. There are literally tons of serviced apartments in every Thai city. I can easily find a furnished apartment in Thailand for a cheap price and it is very nice and comfortable.

Check out www.condo6.com for a few choices in Pattaya, Thailand.

Check out Marriott Executive Apartments or Ascott Condo in Bangkok.

In both of the above, you can easily find a decent high end place for 1200-1500 USD per month. And, they are fully furnished.

I have yet to find similar places in Brazil that would be so easy to move into.

There is a place in Porto Alegre that I found:

http://www.shortstaybrazil.com/

And, in Brazil in general: http://www.vrbo.com/

But, most of these are looking for short stays of a week or a month as opposed to one year or longer and some don't give decent rates for even a long term stay.

I would prefer to live in Rio or Sao Paulo in Brazil but I have found that the apartments there require a one year upfront payment which I just won't do unless you have a Brazil guarantor. I guess my real preference is Sao Paulo as I find it easy to get around there and I know it a bit better than I do Rio but either place would be find.

I did look at Porto Alegre and I know I would love the boys but I think I would be very isolated and not be able to make "English speaking" friends.

Another reason I love Thailand is the abundance of foreigners that live here it is so easy to find "friends" to hang out with from time to time that are not working boys. And, as I only speak English, that makes it harder to communicate with the locals.

Lastly, a visa is not a problem for me in Brazil. I have the ability to stay in the country for an unlimited time frame and do not have to worry about exiting the country every few months.

This site lists the countries price index. While Paris is my first city of choice, it is way to expensive for me as I am trying to save money as opposed to living in NYC.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Brazil

I am also open to other place but I must have a local array of working boys that are easy for me to meet, greet and fall in love with. ^_^

So, there you have it. That is my story. Help and advice and chastisement is greatly appreciated!

This will be only marginally helpful, but for what it's worth: My ex's sister-in-law is from Porto Alegre. I, being the idiot I am, never went there to visit. But from her husband's accounts, you do need to pick up at least some pidgin Portuguese to be able to shop and get around. And it is practically to the Antarctic circle -- travel from North America involves flying to one of the big cities there, then one if not two more hops to PA itself.

Quality of life, cost of living and value given, though, seem really good, from what I could tell at second hand.

And if bucolic countryside escapes hold any appeal, they are right at hand. Her siblings lived downtown while her parents ran a farm, dairy I think, some 40 miles inland in what her husband described as an unspoiled natural paradise.

Guest lurkerspeaks

I just received an email this morning from our MIA Tomcal. He is currently in Porto Alegre. He met two 19 yr olds at the sauna last night and another couple at Bar Mixx (the bar with hustlers). Tomcal always gives PA rave reviews, for what it is worth.

• Members

Might I suggest that you contact Rob {Trilingual} @ www.gaytravelbrazil.com? For a while he lived in an apartment in Rio de janeiro which he was buying before he had to return to the States for family.

Send him your post in hopes that he'll give you some salient advice.

I remember you asked some years back what to do. You got your responses. You landed in Thailand. My tacit support is extended to you; I hope you get what you're after and truly, truly enjoy wherever you decide to move to for a year or longer!