Lucky

Why Don't Our Devices Trust Us?

• Members

Predictive spelling has changed so many words on my Ipad to to use the word they think I wanted or thought I should use. It's a pain to keep going back and correcting their changes.

My Samsung Galaxy is worse. As I am typing, they keep changing the word to what they think i might want, and they get so far afield, that sometimes I forget the word i actually wanted.

And today I wanted to go to the online Bay Area Reporter, the weekly San Francisco gay newspaper.

So I typed in ebar.com, and they came up and said: "It seems you meant to go to ebay.com. Do you want us to block malicious websites for you? Are those two questions even related?

• Members

Well, I won't thank you then. On Wednesday I dropped my Android onto a stone floor and the screen shattered. Because I had bought the insurance, I filed a claim on Thursday. On Friday a new phone arrived at my house. I was pretty impressed with the service!

(lookin, thank you for reading this post.)

Guest hitoallusa

Oh my Lucky you are so smart.. I think you would survive even if someone dropped you off in desert.. I didn't purchase insurance so I am writing on a smart phone with the shattered screen.. :( I'm have to buy one as soon as I get back to US...I thought about buying one here but iPhone5 is not out yet...

Well, I won't thank you then. On Wednesday I dropped my Android onto a stone floor and the screen shattered. Because I had bought the insurance, I filed a claim on Thursday. On Friday a new phone arrived at my house. I was pretty impressed with the service!

(lookin, thank you for reading this post.)

I generally dislike product insurance oversells, but the Asurion insurance plan available with my Verizon Wireless contract seems a good deal. For like $15/month, plus a $165 charge if you actually make a claim, they replace the device overnight, no quibbles. This past January I let my iPhone get stolen -- twice in one month! -- so the plan much more than paid for itself.

I took advantage of a major Black Friday discount at Amazon and bought their Kindle Fire (low end) for $129. I thought that was a good disposable price point. I haven't bought into the iPad solutions yet because I'm not traveling enough. But I want one to read books and magazines going forward and I hope that the Kindle Fire will have a better battery life. But it is not as smooth of a solution as the Apple solutions that's for sure. But it also has all of that predictive stuff. But I love the reading screen for books and magazines. That's what I'm going to use it for the most anyway at this point.