Guest lurkerspeaks

Movie Trivia

Guest lurkerspeaks

Who wants to play a little game of trivia?

Submit your answers to the following questions, and the first person who gets all answers correct or the person who gets the most right gets bragging rights. No cheating, no using google, or wikipedia, or any other internet source.

Contest ends at 8pm, Phoenix Time, Sunday Nov 25, 2012 or when the first person submits all the correct answers (or whenever I want it to, since it is my contest, LOL)

1) What city was the setting for the majority of the action in Hitchcock's "The Birds"?

2) Who played the housekeeper in "Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte"?

3) Who played Florence Ziegfield in "Funny Girl"?

4) Who was orginally cast in the role of the tin man in Wizard of OZ, but had to be replaced due to a severe reaction to the makeup?

5) Also from the Wizard of OZ, who was the director's first choice to play Dorothy, who was unable to take the role due to "other studio obligations"?

6) What movie beat out the Wizard of OZ for best picture that year?

7) Who played the mother of Harvey Fierstein's character in "Torch Song Trilogy".

8) In the movie "Beautiful Thing", what song was played while the boys ran thru the woods? and who sang the song?

9) Was was the name of the character played by Tina Turner in "Mad Max, Beyond Thunderdome"?

10) Who portrayed Evillene in the movie version of "The Wiz"?

I think I remember that the answer to #4 was Alan Hale (the skipper from GILLIGAN'S ISLAND) although I could be wrong.

It was Buddy Ebsen.

Also, didn't Margaret Hamilton likewise have reactions to her green makeup, though not as severe as Ebsen to his silver skinpaint?

For #6, was it Gone with the Wind, ironically ALSO directed by Oz drector Victor Fleming?

OK, my own addition to lurker's delightful questions: Who was the original Oz director whom Fleming was brought on midstream to replace?

Guest lurkerspeaks

Oz and Adam are both correct... the second part of the question for OZ, was "Make your own kind of Music".

Buddy Epson (Jed Clampett) was the original Tin Man, Mama Cass (the mamas and the papas) sang the song from Beautiful Thing. Gone with the WInd beat out Wizard of Oz for best pic in 1939. Anne Bancroft played the role of Mrs Becker (Arnold's mom) in Torch song trilogy..

As an extra credit question, who played the same role in the original broadway version of Torch Song Trilogy?

Oz and Adam are both correct... the second part of the question for OZ, was "Make your own kind of Music".

Yep. I love the movie. Took my mom to see that in the West Village (I think 13 street cinema) when I came out to her. After the movie she looked at me and said, "does this movie have a point you want to make?" LOL I had just came out to her that weekend and I wanted her to see a gay character in the movie. ^_^

As an extra credit question, who played the same role in the original broadway version of Torch Song Trilogy?

Harvey?

OK, another add-on question (last night's deadline notwithstanding ^_^ ):

In the Oz footage shot by the above-mentioned original director -- all scrapped once Fleming was brought in to replace him -- Judy Garland had to wear a WHAT, which Fleming promptly got rid of and which nowhere appears in the film as released?

Guest hitoallusa

Aww your mom is so sweet...^_^

After the movie she looked at me and said, "does this movie have a point you want to make?" LOL I had just came out to her that weekend and I wanted her to see a gay character in the movie. ^_^

Harvey?

Guest hitoallusa

I knew it was Gone with the Wind... The director who got replaced by Fleming didn't get along with Leigh and I think he look a bit like David Selzinick but can't remember his name... Hmmm

I knew it was Gone with the Wind... The director who got replaced by Fleming didn't get along with Leigh and I think he look a bit like David Selzinick but can't remember his name... Hmmm

Wikipedia has it different. It says that producer Selznick fired original director George Cukor, but then Leigh as well as Olivia de Havilland (your role to perfection!) both strongly protested to Selznick in FAVOR of Cukor. But to no avail.

Guest hitoallusa

You are right! Maybe Leigh didn't get along with Fleming... If I were a Melanie I will be exactly like her but that I will be bore my Ashley many children... One of my dear friends has eight kids... I think I will push a little bit more and have a soccer team... ^_^

Wikipedia has it different. It says that producer Selznick fired original director George Cukor, but then Leigh as well as Olivia de Havilland (your role to perfection!) both strongly protested to Selznick in FAVOR of Cukor. But to no avail.

• Members

OK, another add-on question (last night's deadline notwithstanding :smile: ):

In the Oz footage shot by the above-mentioned original director -- all scrapped once Fleming was brought in to replace him -- Judy Garland had to wear a WHAT, which Fleming promptly got rid of and which nowhere appears in the film as released?

Another great question. So what's the answer since we're not supposed to research the answer?