TotallyOz

Three somewhat obscure movies that you HIGHLY recommend!

I am a big movie buff and I try to see everything that comes out but I know I miss a lot. I am sure some will not have my taste in movies but I was thinking about this today and wondered if there are movies out there that others know about that I don't. So, let me start off.

Sin City

Sordid Lives

Heathers

Guest gcursor

I've seen all those movies Oz ^_^ By the way, that movie coming out about you looks to be VERY good! So yes, I consider myself to be a huge movie fan and I usually beat people who end up playing SCENE IT! against me.

Anyway one of the movies that I still recommend (although good luck in finding a copy of it anywhere for a decent price) is still ELECTRIC DREAMS. It's a movie about a love triangle between a computer, a girl and a guy. I won't tell you much about the movie but I always end up crying during it.

'Martin,' 1976, written & directed by George Romero. About a young man who is delusional and thinks he is a vampire. Or maybe he is...?

Romero claims this is his favorite of all his films, acc to Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia....i/Martin_(film)

I had the hots for the actor for a week after first seeing it at age 19.

martin-george-romero-ii.jpg

Martin_The_Immortal_Edition_DVD_Cover.jpg

'Dr. Phibes Rises Again.' Over-the-top sequel to stylistically brilliant, already over-the-top 'The Abominable Dr. Phibes' -- lately referenced here in image by our lookin.

When I first saw it, I was absolutely entranced that -- spoiler alert! -- the (nominally) Bad Guy GETS AWAY IN THE END.

And not just any old 'away' -- closing credits roll over Phibes (Vincent Price) rafting down the River of Life, in its once-every-thousand-years-or-whatever opening up under one of the Pyramids, with his beloved (and formerly deceased) wife Victoria by his side, he the while singing 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow.'

http://en.wikipedia....bes_Rises_Again

phibes_rises9.jpg

• Members
-- spoiler alert! -- the (nominally) Bad Guy GETS AWAY IN THE END.

When asked by archnemesis, Darius Biederbeck, 'What kind of fiend are you?', Phibes allows, 'The kind that wins, my friend.'

And here's how it gets started, along with other quotes from the film and an enthusiastic second to AdamSmith's recommendation. :thumbsup:

Vincent Price as Dr. Phibes (or is it the other way around?):

Victoria, for three years I have rested by your side. Now the moon has risen to the exact position which last occurred two thousand years ago, signaling the opening of this crypt, and the beginning of our greatest adventure. We shall embark to the land of Egypt, where years ago I did prepare for us a wondrous shrine. I shall search for the river of life, which holds the key to resurrection for you and eternal life for both of us.

Apparently, his trusted assistant, Vulnavia (!), has been standing by all this time in case he needs her.

I call on you once more, Vulnavia, come my trusted aide. [Vulnavia appears] Thank you, my dear, for answering my call. Upstairs, in my safe, is a most precious map of papyrus. The way to a pharaoh's tomb! Beneath which flows, each two thousand years, the River of Life. We must make haste and find the river at its flood.

And so they do, never forgetting to stop and smell the flowers along the way. :rolleyes:

Dr.+Phibes+Rises_5.JPG

his trusted assistant, Vulnavia (!)

You can only imagine my restraint at not having mentioned that name heretofore!

...By golden fortune, a YouTube rendition of the whole shebang:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMkORumCCZw

One worships Price, and feels this morsel of overblown kitsch stands among his finest works.

My ... sweet ... Victoria ... I am now ... ensconced in the curiously named 'THE Hotel at Mandalay Bay' ... and assiduously attending ... this software ... user ... conference ... from whose psithic teats I nonetheless still hold hope of coercing ... some, few, ill-begotten commercial gains!

... I ... will report all ... upon tonight's return from ... the highly anticipated ... Fun Hog Ranch!

( ... Whereto one may even lure, just possibly, one or two of one's straight -- but wavering! -- friends.)