Guest lurkerspeaks

Table for one?

Guest lurkerspeaks

Just got back from a nice Sunday Morning Breakfast out at a local diner. (Corned beef hash with poached eggs and a biscuit with gravy, for anyone who cares)..I noticed that in the full restaurant, there was only one other table with a person dining alone.

I wonder, how many of you guys have an issue with going out to eat alone? While I am alone most of them time, I don't like the idea of not experiencing the pleasure of dining out. One "trick" I do for restaurants near where I live, is to order take out. I am hesitant to do this for anyplace too far from home, because most restaurant food looses it's quality when it gets reheated.

If you do dine alone often, do you take along a book or something else to help occupy your time while waiting? Do you ever feel "awkward" dining alone? As a solo diner (and a restaurant manager), I know that many times, solo diners can be very generous tippers if they are taken care of. Each case is different. Some solo diners want a little chit chat with their meal while others just want to be left alone. Some want a fast paced meal with little "down time", while others may want a leisurely pace. A good server can determine the diner's needs and adjust accordingly.

Guest Hoover42

I'm quite reclusive and almost eat alone when I do go out to eat, and I've done that for the last 35 years, so I'm used to it and not at all uncomfortable.

In the past, I would sometimes bring a book, now I use my iPhone if I need diversion. Just watching the other diners or flirting with the wait staff is enough diversion for me :smile:

Guest lurkerspeaks

I'm quite reclusive and almost eat alone when I do go out to eat, and I've done that for the last 35 years, so I'm used to it and not at all uncomfortable.

In the past, I would sometimes bring a book, now I use my iPhone if I need diversion. Just watching the other diners or flirting with the wait staff is enough diversion for me :smile:

Here is Hoover, captured in a rare public appearance:

Greta500.jpg

Guest FourAces

I feel awkward eating alone. I always think everyone is staring at me. The only exception is when I travel ... for some reason it does not bother me near as much at those times.

• Members

For me the type of restaurant and time of day play a part. Breakfast or lunch alone in a somewhat casual place is no problem for me at all. Dinner, especially in a more fancy place does feel weird, but on the other hand there are a lot of places with full-menu bars, and there are certainly other single people eating in there.

• Members

Rarely go to a nice restaurant except with friends (see Budget thread) but when I eat alone at my favorite dives, it's always with a book. In fact, it's about the only time I get any pleasure reading done.

One thing I enjoy about this thread is imagining living near you good folks and having the occasional dinner out. I'm sure we'd get stared at plenty, but we could always blame it on the other guy. :rolleyes:

610_algonquin_about.jpg

Guest gcursor

Such an excellent topic Lurker! Kudos to you! I used to do things more by myself but have found more and more that I stay at home rather than go out. If I do want to go out alone then I will take my iPad with me and use that to entertain me. Point of fact, I typically take my iPad with me practically everywhere since I use it for so many parts of my life. Someday soon, I hope that I'll be able to take my iPad to a strip club which I'm sure it will enjoy.

gcursor

Guest hitoallusa

Oh my Lookin when can we go on a date?

One thing I enjoy about this thread is imagining living near you good folks and having the occasional dinner out. I'm sure we'd get stared at plenty, but we could always blame it on the other guy. :rolleyes:

610_algonquin_about.jpg

Guest hitoallusa

Gcursor you are so humorous.. When using IPad my eyes hurt and sometimes other people stare at what I'm looking at so I use old fashioned paper...

Someday soon, I hope that I'll be able to take my iPad to a strip club which I'm sure it will enjoy.

gcursor

• Members

I often dine alone and don't feel self conscious about. I bring reading material, usually newspaper, or a book if I'm in the middle of a good one. I like a leisurely meal and often use a Groupon so I have multiple courses and have a lot to bring home for left overs.

Guest NCBored

Some interesting comments in this thread!

I enjoy trying new restaurants and different types of food, but for much of my life, I felt too self-conscious about dining out alone.

The first breakthrough was with breakfast. In my first professional job, I often went in to work on Saturdays and I would treat myself to breakfast at a local diner. This is a rtual that I have clung to despite changes in my life. Currently my father, who has moderate dementia, is living with me and we almost all out meals together. But on Saturdays, i get him pancakes from McDz and then, after he's eaten, I go out to my usual place.

When I started taking business trips (often to the UK), I'd eat in my hotel if I was alone, until a friend inspired me to make the most of those trips, and then I began seeking out local places, and somehow I was less self-conscious while traveling.

I always take a book or newspaper to read.

I am fortunate to have a few friends who share my tastes & with whom I dine out locally, but I do that much less frequently since I became unemployed and brought my father to live with me.

• Members

I was partnered for 22 years. Single now for 11, but I always had an issue about doing "anything" alone, ie: eatting out, movies, travelling etc. I always felt awkward and out of place. Yes it may limit my sociability because as we get older, our freinds seem not to be as agreeable, or able to go out and do things, which leaves you solo. The only place I dont feel weird about is the sex club, because thats a place that doesnt call for company to partake. I tried joining those upscale social gay mens clubs, but most people there although they may have a common interest, are very set in their own ways which makes bonding with them difficult.

The only place I will eat alone is in a fast food joint like Micky D's, because, there, noone is really looking or seems to care. but how many greasy burgers can you eat ??? so if anyone is also alone and in NYC and would like to go out for a nice meal, give me a holla.

It could be fun ? (and no strings attached, unless you have a Very Big dick!) :frantics: :frantics:

Same here, exactly.

I used to hate eating out alone. But after years of business travel, about 10 years ago I got fed up, so to speak, with room service and the alternative of slimy fast food, and discovered it was a relief to go out somewhere decent for a real meal. Don't really know why my former discomfort with "table for one?" evaporated. Maybe just getting too old to give a fuck any more about anything other than what I put in my mouth. :ike:

Also, as noted above, full menu is often available at the bar if the restaurant has one, where -- depending maybe on the Ph of the particular city -- it can be easy to strike up talk with the person to your left or right. Once or twice that has worked out quite well!

• Members
Also, as noted above, full menu is often available at the bar if the restaurant has one, where -- depending maybe on the Ph of the particular city -- it can be easy to strike up talk with the person to your left or right. Once or twice that has worked out quite well!

hped-bar.jpg

AdamSmith asks his bar-mates

if they've tried the chimichanga.

They follow him up to his room.

hped-bar.jpg

AdamSmith asks his bar-mates

if they've tried the chimichanga.

They follow him up to his room.

Vud not be difficult, Mein Fuhrer!

Zat is to say, ze scene pictured is embarrassingly close to one or two of ze realities.

But, you know, we are all made of the same protoplasm.

...More or less! :nuke: