AdamSmith

George W. Bush’s favorability rating in new poll now tops Mitt Romney’s

Seems the "rolling calamity" has now officially entered the When Pigs Fly zone...

Ouch! George W. Bush’s favorability rating in new poll now tops Mitt Romney’s

A recent poll has former President George Bush’s favorability rating is now higher than that of struggling Republican nominee Mitt Romney.

By Kristen A. Lee / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Friday, September 28, 2012, 12:33 PM

Updated: Friday, September 28, 2012, 12:33 PM

bush.jpg

Tony Gutierrez/AP

Did you miss me? In a recent Bloomberg News poll, former President George W. Bush had a higher favorability rating than Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney, 46% to 43%.

Mitt Romney may want to rethink keeping George W. Bush at arm's length.

A recent poll has found that the divisive ex-president's favorability rating is now higher than that of the struggling Republican nominee.

Forty-six percent of those surveyed by Bloomberg News had a favorable opinion of Bush, compared with only 43 percent who had favorable feelings about Romney. Romney's unfavorable rating was also higher — 50 percent compared to Bush's 49 percent.

Former Bush spokesman Ari Fleischer pointed to the Bloomberg News poll on Twitter — writing that Bush's favorability rating was his "best level in years." The last GOP president left the White House with a dismal 22 percent approval rating, according to a CBS News/New York Times poll from February 2009.

While Obama has used former President Bill Clinton as a key surrogate on the campaign trail and a major speaker at the Democratic National Convention, Bush has remained on the sidelines of the presidential race.

His presence at the GOP convention was limited to an appearance in a tribute video that also featured his father, former President George H.W. Bush.

mitt.jpg

Saul Loeb/Getty Images

Do you want the good news? Mitt Romney's unfavorable rating was only 1 point higher that Bush’s — 50% to Bush's 49% percent. Statistically, speaking, that’s a tie.

A spokesman for the younger Bush said earlier this summer that he was simply "enjoying his time off the political stage." But a Romney confidant told The News in July that "it's better for us that he isn't there."

"He reminds voters of the party's past instead of the future Romney wants to emphasize," the Romney ally said.

While the poll appears to reflect warmer feelings toward Bush, it also points to sliding support for Romney — particularly since he was caught on video dismissing 47% percent of Americans as government dependents at a fundraiser. Recent polls have shown Obama pulling ahead of Romney in several key swing states.

Romney is looking to turn the tide with a strong debate performance against President Obama on Tuesday.

While Obama's favorability rating (52%) was also higher than Romney's, it was dwarfed by those of his Democratic predecessor and his wife.

clinton.jpg

David Handschuh/New York Daily News

But compared to former President Bill Clinton, both Romney and Bush are practically pariahs. Clinton has a favorability rating of 64%.

Former President Bill Clinton has a 64% favorability rating, and First Lady Michelle Obama's was just a tick lower at 63%.

Ann Romney's favorable/unfavorable rating stood at 49% to 29%, but an additional 22% said they didn't know enough about the would-be First Lady to have an opinion.

Voters felt less favorably about the running mates on both tickets than they did about the presidential contenders.

michelle.jpg

Carolyn Kaster/AP

First Lady Michelle Obama did almost as well as Bill Clinton. Her favorability rating was an impressive 63%, while her husband yielded a respectable rating of 52%.

Vice President Joe Biden's favorable/unfavorable rating came in at 42% to evenly split at 41%, with another 18% saying they weren't sure how they felt about the VP candidate.

The Bloomberg News poll of just over 1,000 adults had a margin of error of 3.1 percentage points.

klee@nydailynews.com

Guest hitoallusa

It's not statistically significant enough to say Bush's rating is higher than that of Romney. They are basically the same.. Two things that I want to make sure if I had any say in the school curriculum for journalists are that they are properly trained in Statistics and have them taught about writing balanced reports. It is not for only election coverage but other areas of their report is like they are on someone's pay roll to write their articles in a certain way. I think it's impossible for government to commission a study that elucidate the hidden side of the media. Some private intelligence companies might be able to do it but their findings will be sold to law firms and big guys to further their control of the media...

• Members

Hito. After reading your response, I think you need to rethink the dosages on your meds. What part of this report from the NY daily News wasn't balanced. Please explain, dearie.

Both have rankings lower than the teats hanging from my bitch's belly. And she is nursing seven enormous pups. What is Mitten's excuse.

Guest hitoallusa

The margin of error is above 3 % and look at the title...Since science is so respected and honored here please ask any scientific minded person around you whether that title is correct. I am not defending Romney but fighting the very bias and illogical thinking that prevent advancement. My repeated argument is that the same biased ways of thinking have kept gays oppressed for thousands years and yet we freely excercise that way of thinking to the very people we don't agree with?

You are right though.. I forgot to take my medicine today.. ^_^ it is so bitter and it doesn't go we'll with my digestive system... Thinking about seeing a doctor soon ^_^.