Guest FourAces

I Need A Bank

Guest FourAces

So I opened an account years ago with a small bank that was only in two states here in the south. A few years back Capital One purchased the bank and things have become increasingly horrible. From service to fees I just cannot take it anymore :o

So large or small who do you guys bank with? Whats your experience like? Do you recommend your bank?

Guest CharliePS

I have always divided my money between two banks, for greater security as well as to be able to move funds more easily if I become dissatisfied with one of them. The constant takeovers of one bank by another in recent years has made that more difficult: for several years I had accounts at both Wells Fargo and Wachovia, but then WF bought Wachovia, and I found myself with more WF accounts than necessary (and the conversion of the Wachovia acct. to WF was incredibly slow and inconvenient, another reason not to have everything in one place). Now I have a Union Bank of California acct. in addition to the ones at WF. I don't have any particular complaints about either one, but my banking activity is not very complicated.

I've used Citibank for years because when I was actually an expatriate, it was very convenient for me since they were in so many countries. I still have a gold account with them so I have never had any fees of any kind in the nearly 20 years I've banked with them. But I think they are now trying to figure out how to start charging me fees, but none so far. it just has been convenient for me and I haven't had any fees (so far) so I will stay until they do have fees.

I will never bank at Chase as long as Jamie Dimon is Chairman. I know him personally and he is the worst kind of CEO and he is very greedy and their fee structure shows it.

There are many internet only banks that have low fees or no fees based on average deposit value, but they don't have an ATM network so you may end of with fees that way.

Guest hitoallusa

I always wonder how some CEOs sleep at nights but they are surrounded by people who will do anything to get their position and power so I guess it makes their hearts tough and mean.. It's unfortunate...

I just moved everything to First Citizens, a regional bank down here with low fees and a branch manager whom I trust to be able to fix anything should they make a mistake.

Left Bank of America, with whom I've been trying for 3 years to de-link myself from a business account I'm no longer co-owner of, and they have yet to figure out how to make that happen. Fucked up.

• Members

I've

Stay with a state chartered or regional bank and away from the big boys whose business model is to screw you. Check out any credit unions in your area too.

For myself and my businesses I have 2 national banks, 1 regional bank & 1 credit union. I like them best in reverse order starting with the credit union which has been most helpful to my business.

Guest FourAces

Thanks guys. I don't believe I have ever banked at a credit union. Can people join any of them or do you have to work in a certain industry?

• Members

I think different credit unions have different rules for signing up. I found one open to residents and businesses in the area where I live. My plan was to join as soon as my current bank, Wells Fargo, followed Bank of America in adding a five dollar debit card fee last year. Since both banks backed down, I've stayed put.

But I'm ready to make the move the instant Wells Fargo tries any more funny business.

state_exchange_bank_hampton_boswell_teller_window_1948.jpg